Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Can I plant my Clematis yet?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Can I plant my Clematis yet?

Postby countrychic » May 04, 2008 9:58 am

I bought my first Clematis, a Dr. Ruppel. Can I plant it in my sheltered garden yet? Will it be fine? It is growing rapidly in the pot and has extended the supports. I am in Zone 5a, and the weather seems gorgeous, lol

I am usually planting by May, but this Clematis seems so delicate compared to other perennials
countrychic

Postby Lindamct » May 04, 2008 10:35 am

Well my clematis is coming up and doing well here. I am in the same Zone as you :) I would plant it!
Lindamct

Postby Melroche » May 04, 2008 10:43 am

Hi,

I just planted two last week (zone 5a/5b) and they are very thankful to be out of their pots (Omishiro and Huldine)...even after the huge frost we had last week...no sign of stress. Be sure to harden them off first over 3 or 4 days though...for the first day or two maybe bring them in at night and then leave them out over night for the next couple days...then plant away.

Cheers!
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Postby Venice » May 04, 2008 2:30 pm

ohhh I had a lovely lil 'Huldine' 2 years ago. I planted it in the spring, enjoyed the blooms, then next spring when I went to check on it, it was gone.

The entire plant was gone, no roots nothing, just a wee hole where it had been. I still have no idea what happeend to it. It didn't end up in any neighbors yards ahhaha I guess an animal must have pulled it out.

So I stick to morning glories now eheheh, good luck with yours.

Ven
Venice

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 04, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi Country Chic:
If your clematis has just come out of a greenhouse , you should harden it off a bit before you plant it.
Clematis are very hardy, but those in pots may not have seen the "real world".
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby B_BQ » May 04, 2008 7:41 pm

I agree with the others. Harden off the clematis for a couple of days, and then plant it in its' final resting place! :D
I've bought yet another one - this one is supposed to be red - "Rachael", but we shall see! It's being hardened off, and will be planted probably on Tuesday.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby countrychic » May 05, 2008 9:24 am

It has been outside since Friday when I bought it. I shall be planting it tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait! Thanks for the help!
countrychic

Return to Plant Talk