Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Is this a good time to divide my roses?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Is this a good time to divide my roses?

Postby Eeyore » May 03, 2008 12:09 pm

They are just starting to show new groeth and haven't leafed out yet. Should I divide now or wait?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 6:02 pm

Eeyore, I am not at all certain just what it is you are planning to do. Are you talking about cutting out part of your rosebush(es) and relocating the large rootball cutting??? Or are you talking about pruning?

If you are talking about pruning, do it before the leaves open...

I do mine in late fall...I do mine if I see anything dead...I do mine for shaping, and after a branch is finished blooming. I do not generally prune in springtime as mine all start growing in January if we get any sunny warmish days. Remember I am in in coastal BC, folks.

(and speaking of this, I received advice from a long time newspaper gardening columnist to cut back my Jackmani clematis in late spring...and after I did so, I learned that Jack blooms all along his old wood and I cut the poor thing to about 2 1/2 feet high. I am sorrowing. Jack was loaded with flower buds when I did it. From now on, I will cut a clemmie back only when it performs poorly...no matter whether it is A, B, or C.)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 12:24 am

Liz and Daisy, We have FINALLY seen growth on the roses. We are about a month behind. Normally everything would be pruned by now but it is a strange year!

The rose I want to divide has sent out new "runners". One is adjacent to the parent plant and another is about a foot or more away. It is a hardy rose and on it's own root, so the parent and the runner are exactly the same genetic stock. I suspect that this would be just like layering part of the plant and then cutting off the baby and transplanting it???? The question is, do I do it now? I suspect this is probably the best time.... or do I wait untill fall? I have a suspicion that now would be better but I'm not sure.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 04, 2008 1:16 am

Lyn,

I would definitely do the moving now so that the rose has time to establish roots. Silly me, I thought you were digging up the whole rose bush and trying to split it like you would a perennial! I had a beautiful "Therese Bugnet" rose that succumbed to crown gall. I dug it up and trashed it, however, I noticed that it had produced a baby a few feet away. Hopefully that grows to be as nice as the mother plant. Is your soil "workable" right now? I am just cleaning up the debris, but I have a ton of plants to move around this year.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 1:45 am

Donna, my soil is FINALLY workable! :shock: I would estimate we are about 3-4 weeks behind schedule! What about you?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 04, 2008 2:49 am

okay, same page, finally.

can you split it, and put what you want , in a pot?...for a couple of years?

Reason I am asking is, we dug out two really old long time roses...one died dead, the other has put out three new growth thingies thriving, many feet away from parent. Really thriving red heavily scented old rose...but really prone to black spot etc...gorgeous flowers, strong climber, but leaves so bad it is sad.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 04, 2008 9:05 am

Lyn, I propagate the rose 'Betty Prior' by layering stems on this own-root plant. It takes a full year for the layered stem to have sufficient roots for transplanting success. Now would be a good time to transplant if you are confident there is an adequate root system on the off-shoot. If not, you could separate it from the parent and put it in a sheltered nursery bed until this Fall or Spring 09.

Hope this helps!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » May 05, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks Trish and Liz. I'll take the piece off and pop it into a pot until I'm ready to plant it somewhere else.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Thistle Garden » May 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Speaking of roses. I didn't know this was possible but it happened to me.

A few years ago a long time resident of the little town I lived in gave me a cutting from a climbing rose she had in her garden.

She cut all the flowers and the leaves from the bottom of the cutting and told me to put in a bucket of water, she said it would root but it would take time. I did not believe her but thought I would give it a try.

I did as I was told and had it in water for about two months checking regularly for roots. Late in Oct. I was going to throw it out not wanting a bucket of water with a stick hanging around but I had a final look and WOW, roots.

I planted it and had lovely pale pink roses the next summer.

I've since moved but oh how I loved them.

TG
Thistle Garden

Next

Return to Plant Talk