Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Even more bizarre

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Even more bizarre

Postby kelly_m » May 05, 2008 2:57 pm

than annuals acting like perennials this year...I had cut back my Wandering Jew last year, through it in the garden and it had rooted...not so bizarre....well I just found a piece of it in a corner of my garden sprouting a leaf!!! either I've got some major heat loss from the basement or it was a weird winter!!!

Kamazed
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Lindamct » May 05, 2008 3:10 pm

Holy Kimmoley Kel!! Ya done somethin's right kiddo :lol: :wink: :)
Lindamct

Postby Lindamct » May 05, 2008 3:11 pm

I haven't grown cornflowers for years. All of a sudden I have some sprouting all over the place :lol:
Lindamct

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 05, 2008 3:32 pm

I have something weird growing in a flower bed...lovely green, lots of rosettes...it is mounded beautifully. I was caring for it, and then this morning I found several more growing in the lawn, a few feet from this.

I suspect it is a weed.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby kelly_m » May 05, 2008 4:47 pm

I dunno what I am doing....but I'll take it!!LOL

Liz....a weed is simply a misplaced flower....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 05, 2008 5:25 pm

You would NOT say this, if you saw all the catmint growing around here...mounds and mounds and more dang mounds...it simply loves the gravel driveway.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Catherine » May 05, 2008 9:10 pm

This is weird too - for me anyway. Didn't pull up the California poppies in front garden last fall. They have come through the winter and are sprouting lots of growth from the base of the old plants. Thought they might be seedlings but not so. Definitely from the old plants. Wild...
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby patty » May 05, 2008 9:35 pm

WOW...that's very impressive! Especially way up there in igloo land lol j/k. I'm excited for you!
patty

Postby dj_backq » May 05, 2008 9:44 pm

Around here, we had so much snow this year (record accumulation), and got it early so the ground actually never froze under all that snow.

My parsley and thyme never last more then one season but looks like there is activity in the garden... they might have survived this one.

My rosemary didn't though... I was taken by suprise by early snow and didn't have time to put them in some pots and bring them inside. Started some by seeds.... but it really takes a while and the success rate is not that great. I'm having a hard time finding certified organic cuttings that I could start from.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby kelly_m » May 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Patty Patty Patty...if you looked on a map, you'd see I'm not that far North of you!!! 8)

I'm like Andre...snow fell before the ground had a chance to really freeze, so things had a fighting chance this year...not to mention lower average temps and haven't had a real frost in what seems like weeks!! Okay...a month? So....I guess my gardens are thinking zone 6b???I am not complaining....

Noticed another plant starting that was supposed to be annual.....

Liz...I have no cat, nor (sorry cat lovers) do I want want...so I guess you can keep your catmint...although neighbour gave me some mint yesterday....don't worry...was planted in a pot in my herb garden!!

Speaking of herbs, I did not get the chance to lift my rosemary, but it was well well mulched but I still had no hope of it surviving....it didn't.... :cry:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Next

Return to Plant Talk