Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Frost on Covered balcony?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Frost on Covered balcony?

Postby Jennifer » May 05, 2008 5:01 pm

If I leave my potted plants on my apt blacony which is covered overhead by the above balcony, will they be protected enough from frost? or should i bring them in or properly cover them?
Jennifer

Postby Venice » May 05, 2008 5:27 pm

Well I think a lot of it depends on how high up you are. I know that ever so many flights up you actually lose a zone.

So even if your in Zone 5 if your in a high rise your balcony could be a zone 3. I'm not sure what the equation is to figure it out. But I'm sure someone here will have a link.

I'd be a bit worried about them, esp this week. If nothing else I'd drape a blanket on them perhaps huddle them in the corner with a few chairs and cover them all up.

Ven
Venice

Postby seacat » May 06, 2008 11:31 pm

What sort of plants are they? You could bring them in to be safe. I have a thermometer on my balcony so I can monitor the temperature better. I read something on an earlier, recent thread that said below 8 degrees, bring'em in.

I do find that my 8th floor balcony is usually a degree or two warmer than it apparently is on the ground.
Women hold up half the sky.
seacat

Return to Plant Talk