Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Clematis in Zone 3b?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Clematis in Zone 3b?

Postby dj_backq » May 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Any body here in zone 3b as tried planting purple clematis???

Most of the ones I find on the web are rated 4a or +.

I wonder if they would survive well??
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby dlb » May 02, 2008 6:31 pm

I have a Jackmanii (it's purple) that I've had growing in the garden for the past 3-4 years. Generally ones that bloom on new wood are more sucessful. I cut mine back every year and it grows from the roots again. It gets bigger every year.

Dora

Addendum: This would be pruning group 'C' - it looks like I am cutting too far back and should be leaving at least 2 good buds on the stem. Hmm.
dlb

Postby Sheikea » May 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi there..I am in zone 3a so i found and have had no success at all growing any type of clematis.My neighbour on the other hand has had great success they are beautiful and so full its amazing.Will take pictures to post once they get going. :D
Sheikea

Postby Eeyore » May 02, 2008 11:41 pm

Yes, some clemmies will survive in zone 3B. Jackmanni is one of the hardiest.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 03, 2008 12:24 am

I find the viticella varieties are fairly hardy.
Scrapinthehat

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 03, 2008 1:07 am

I am in 2b and have both Jackman and "Polish Spirit"; they come back reliably every year. I agree with Dora about buying the ones labeled pruning group "c"...those bloom on the new season's wood and you don't have to worry about die-back.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » May 03, 2008 10:30 am

I have some in groups B&C. In my zone they pretty much die right back anyway. But group C are your best bet. And as Scap mentioned the viticella varieties are the most hardy but they are not the large floswer variety.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 03, 2008 2:00 pm

We have a clematis & of course I have forgotten the species but it bears trumpet-like pale mauve blooms which when it goes to seed has silver silken balls. Someone from the description may be able to identify it.It is now 3 /4 years old & covers one side of our arbor. Checked it today & leaf buds are forming right out to the ends of the vines, so looks like we will have another nice show again this year.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 12:36 am

do you mean bells Lee? I don't think I've ever seen a clematis with trumpet shaped blooms.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 05, 2008 6:21 pm

Being old & now forgetful unless it's something that happened 20 yrs ago LOL when the thing blooms I'll decide if they are trumpet or bell shaped and let you know.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Next

Return to Plant Talk