Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Ideas please

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Ideas please

Postby The Novice » May 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Well the weather has finely warmed up - hopefully this means no more snowfalls.

Was out admiring my garden bed today and decided that maybe I need to get one bigger shrub or plant to set into the middle of the bed - from there picking plants and placing them should be easier.

In thinking of the bigger type of shrub or plant that I could put in the middle I would like something with nice foilage in the spring/summer, preferably some flowers in the summer, and colourful foilage in the fall.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I am in Zone 3.

The plants currently in the bed are monkshood and cranesbill - they need to be relocated.
Attachments
CG.jpg
The Novice

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 12:12 am

Hi Novice - could you please add your zone to your profile for future reference! :D Thanks!

How big are you looking for? In zone 3 you can grow Mountain Ash. It's great for attracting birds once it becomes established. There are several crab-apples that will work as well. Dogwoods, One of the Silverleafs would be great! Viburnums. Saskatoon Berry.... Just to mention a few.

Would you prefer a tree or a shrub in the center of the bed?

Personally, in that location I'd be looking at something like a silverleaf dogwood right at the corner of the house and some Barberry or maybe Hydrangea under the window. A couple of Birdsnest Spruce and then interplanted with Daylilys, and Lilies and possibly a nice low rosebush in the front corner....

I'm a bit anal about plants that spread, the Cranesbill would have to go. I find that Monkshood behaves well in my garden.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sheikea » May 05, 2008 9:41 am

Where does that flower bed sit is it in the front or the back or the side?I would remove that one too..LOL.Put it where it won't be a prob..I would put a nice weeping maple there .The smaller ones.I was looking at some the other day at the greenhouse or a Caragana weeping one.Sorry don't know their names atm.Or you could do more a cluster to the back and not the middle and do a Nine bark or a plum shrub.Nice folage and pink flowers nice colours to in the fall..Then I would go perrinial mad with tons of variations and sizes.Keep in mind bigger ones to the back.. :)
Sheikea

Thanks

Postby The Novice » May 06, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I have started researching the dwarf lilacs, and barberry, will begin on the ninebarks.

As you can see from the pic I posted todaywe renovated that flowerbed last fall. It is located in the "front" of the house. It is a part sun part shade bed.

I hope to one day have it full of perennials - and I have a million ideas as to what plants I want - just not sure how to put it all together. So I thought I would start with one primary shrub/tree/plant and work from there. One of the plants I do want is Hydrangea and I have a spot reserved for them already - but I thought they needed some sun so was planning to put them just around the corner of the house - if you can see the flowerbed just wraps about the corner before ending.
Attachments
CG.jpg
The Novice

Postby Sheikea » May 06, 2008 9:19 am

Oh yes i see and now I see it is in the front as well..Perinnials are a sure win way to go and less work.I myself have just started a few new beds two join preexixsting ones so gotta get at it..LOL :D
Sheikea

Return to Plant Talk