Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

First time from seed

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

First time from seed

Postby drshawsie » May 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Last summer in the beginning of July, I got the desire to start up a garden (albeit a bit late in the year). I took a trip down to the local walmart to see what plants I could still purchase. They had a bunch of tomato plants marked down to 25 cents each, as well as a few pepper plants. I decided to give it a try, and to my amazement I managed to get them all to full maturity and a tremendous harvest (thankfully we had a long summer here).

This year, I've decided to start everything from seed.
I started everything in peat pellets, on April 3rd.
Tomatoes, bell peppers, pimento peppers, habaneros, chili peppers, spinach, and cucumbers.
I'm pleased to say the cucumbers have had little flower pods on them for about a week now (still indoors, although outdoors for several hours a day now), and as of this afternoon, one of my tomato plants has a flower stem sprouted. :)

I have to say, starting everything from seed has been a great experience, not too much work, and I've gotten familiar with the plants through their growth...You quickly get to see what they like, and dislike.
Attachments
DSC00536r.jpg
DSC00537r.jpg
drshawsie

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 05, 2008 6:48 pm

It looks as tho you have some very healthy tomato plants there!

I have never tried planting in the little cell packs...I guess the principle is, if they don't grow, you haven't lost much soil?

My tomatos are in 2 Litre milk jugs/or cartons...they have got to get outside, but I'm hesitant...16 degrees here today.

My cukes are Lemon Cucumbers, and they are beginning to sprawl...they are still under a light.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby patty » May 06, 2008 12:10 am

Welcome to the forum drshawie! It is fun growing plants from seed. I have grown the grape cherry type tomato from seed a couple times, but this year for the first time I'm trying three heirlooms. I keep looking daily for a flower.:) When they say so many days to maturity, are those days counted from the time the flower sets, or the fruit?

patty

Postby OGrubber » May 06, 2008 9:06 am

Patty,

Generally speaking, days to maturity is from time of transplanting into a permanent location to the onset of harvestability [is that a word? laf!] and/or in the case of direct seeding from the time the seedling breaks soil to once again, harvest.

Great looking seedlings you have there, drshawsie!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Sheikea » May 06, 2008 9:27 am

Woots look at you grow..LOL.Well done hun always enjoy those little experiences.What makes it all worth it is when you can say I did that from scratch. :D
Sheikea

Postby drshawsie » May 07, 2008 5:26 pm

You're right, it's great being able to say I started them from scratch, for some of the plants, I actually tried saving seed from plants last year, all of the seeds I saved actually worked out great and are some of the healthiest plants this year.
My West facing bay window is where most of the plants are. My house is literally beside a (very popular) ice cream store, the number of people who walk by, see the plants and walk up to the window to look at them all (some over 30 inches now). Seems like everyone loves spring and seeing the plants grow....
drshawsie

First time for me too....

Postby evepet » May 07, 2008 5:57 pm

and I can't believe what a kick I'm getting out of watching these plants grow. :D And boy are they growing. LOL. It's really much more satisfying than just buying and transplanting something somebody else started.
evepet

Postby patty » May 07, 2008 10:04 pm

OGrubber wrote:Patty,

Generally speaking, days to maturity is from time of transplanting into a permanent location to the onset of harvestability [is that a word? laf!] and/or in the case of direct seeding from the time the seedling breaks soil to once again, harvest.

Great looking seedlings you have there, drshawsie!

Thank-you so much for answering my question Inge. I must admit I'm surprised though. Hubby told me the same as you, but I thought he was sooo wrong!! Day..um he's been right a lot lately so I'm not going to tell him lol.

Suddenly, those garden clochs are making good sense to me now lol.

BTW I bought my seeds from you.:)
patty

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2008 10:18 pm

Good looking tomato plants Dr! When you transplant them outside, plant them deep so that they produce a good root system and don't become too spindly!
I bought my seed this year but if I'm happy with what I get I'll save seed for next year.

Inge - and I thought stating them early would give me earlier fruit! :shock:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » May 08, 2008 8:37 am

Patty,

I won't tell him if you don't. laf!
Thanks for your support! I really appreciate it, and hope everything grows well for you!

Lyn,

Starting things early gives them a head start in size and development, and only sometimes a head start in flower/fruit. Different plants [types] have different flowering/fruiting triggers. For some it's day length, for some it's heat units and/or a dormancy period, for some it's actual age [lol!] and for others any combination of the aforementioned.

I've had volunteer tomatoes [in the field] fruit a week or so later than the ones I started and babied for weeks before setting out. It's a crap shoot from year to year, I tell ya! laf!

Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Next

Return to Plant Talk