Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Sharon - Rhodos question

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Sharon - Rhodos question

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2008 10:49 am

Hi Sharon - of all the seed you sent me several years ago I've managed to grow 4 macronulatums that did not succumb to my neglect and inexperience!
Truly survival of the fittest! :oops:

They are now in a nursery bed and still quite small, only about 3-4 inches tall.
However they are in a very shady area. How much sun should they be getting? Should I plant them up into pots and start moving them into a sunnier area to acustom them to brighter light with the intention of permanently relocating them later in the summer?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 06, 2008 11:09 am

Hi Lyn:
They do well in mostly full sun, as long as they get all the other things they need.....they behave very much like deciduous azaleas.
Sounds like your plan is good.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks, I'll pot them up and begin the moving process. I had originally put them in that bed so they were in a safe spot. I have other things to move out of there too. I think I will be looking at some almost full shade plants for that area. Possibly Jack Frost Brunnera.

I purchased some garden sulphur to dig into the area where the rhodos will be.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk