Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

FAST GROWING TREES..?..LET'S GO....

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Paul zone5 » May 04, 2008 10:51 am

Silver maples are fast growing. I read one recommendation that these should be no closer than 100ft from a house. The previous owner of my house planted one about 30ft from the house and I now prune it to keep it with bounds.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby Sheikea » May 05, 2008 9:37 am

Laurel Leafs are beautiful.We have one its only been in the yard three years I think and its getting bigger all the time..Must be all the TLC my husband gives it. :)
Sheikea

Postby GardenGeek » May 05, 2008 1:42 pm

I like our MayDays. They grow quite quickly, are usually the first to get their leaves in the spring, and flower through the month of May. The tree is covered in beautiful clusters of white flowers.
Sheri

"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view." ~H. Fred Ale
GardenGeek

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 06, 2008 8:21 am

I don't understand what a May Day or a Laurel Leaf are....real name, please.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2008 10:42 am

May Day tree - Prunus padus commutata

Laurel Leaf is a willow - Salix Pentandra

Before planting a Laurel Leaf, check the site specifics. They get huge! They are beautiful but are not for small spaces.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby 3725 » May 06, 2008 3:36 pm

where would i find these trees, and sre they small saplings, from a nursery, or seeds?...tim..sk..

Postby Abby1944 » May 06, 2008 8:36 pm

We planted Autum Blaze Maples about 8 years ago and they are big trees now. They turn Red in Fall. We are very happy with them.
Abby
Abby1944

Postby countrychic » May 07, 2008 11:28 am

The Locust tree is on Sale now at Sheridan Nurseries. Usually $100, going for $60. Here's the link to the flyer.
http://www.sheridannurseries.com/garden ... yer308.htm
countrychic

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Silver maples are a nice tree & grow fairly rapidly. They can reach 60 ft. in height when mature & have a nice shade producing spread. Ours keep our house reasonably cool during hot weather(southwest exposure). Spreading junipers will thrive at their feet. They do have a far reaching root system as do all rapid growth trees(tell my lawn about it LOL). Overall a handsome tree with a true maple leaf shaped leaf. No suckering.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Ohhhh Eeyore...we have a may tree. Had I truly known something about this species other than they look nice when in bloom there is no way we would have one. Firstly, they are very prone to the black knot virus which is spread by wind & birds.Any blooming tree or shrub can become infected. There are 12 in a City park near us & I have counted 7 of them as being infected. About the only thing you can do to control it is prune out the infected branch during cold weather in February....which is okay until the infected branch is 30 ft. above the ground. If that happens to me....good bye tree & call in the stump grinders.
The other aspect is they sucker something awful.
The third aspect is if the suckers don't get your yard the berries will when they fall on the ground and germinate.
Another aspect is they have a vigorous root system & will often surface in your lawn like a beaching submarine.
There are probably other negatives about this tree but I think I have covered it sufficiently.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Previous

Return to Plant Talk