Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Shrubs for shade?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Shrubs for shade?

Postby Joy » May 06, 2008 9:17 pm

I'm a beginning gardener with a a 15 x 15 back yard to plant. There are two mature maples in the yard, blocking the west sun. The bulk of the garden is in lightly dappled shade in spring, but dappled to deep shade in summer and fall. I'm looking for some shrubs to anchor the garden. Some recommendations I've been given: Oakleaf or Annabelle Hydrangea, Doublefile Vibernum, Summersweet, and various dogwoods. I'll be using soaker hoses and bringing in some new soil. And if could have everything I wanted, I'm partial to white flowers, fragrance and pretty winter branches. I am in Toronto.

I'd love any advice you might be able to offer me. Thanks!
Joy

Postby Venice » May 06, 2008 10:03 pm

I think a white 'Bleeding heart' should work, and be a nice accent piece.

Also some Hosta's, and my Coleus always does really good in full shade.

I think even Morning Glories can do good in shade.

Ven
Venice

Postby Venice » May 06, 2008 10:05 pm

ohhh btw some pictures of the area, can really help.

Ven

PS neither of those are my pictures, I just re-read it and it sounded like I was talking about those as my coleus. I wish hehehe.
Venice

Postby seacat » May 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Have you considered a rhodo? they like shade, have flowers...
Women hold up half the sky.
seacat

Postby Ian » May 07, 2008 1:35 am

A truely stunning shrub for part to full shade is a Pieris japonica.

Flowers with scented white bell-like flowers in spring. It is a "leafy" everygreen that displays brilliant red "new growth". Although they grow relatively slow, they will obtain a size of 4 to 6 feet (if you let them) or you can purchase dwarf varieties to suit your needs. They require an acid soil, which can be achieved using peat moss, pine mulch or aluminum sulphate.

Google "Pieris japonica" You won't be disappointed.

Hope this helps
Ian
Ian

Postby murphy » May 07, 2008 8:25 am

Venice wrote:ohhh btw some pictures of the area, can really help.

Ven

PS neither of those are my pictures, I just re-read it and it sounded like I was talking about those as my coleus. I wish hehehe.

I was about to have serious "Coleus Envy" :lol:
murphy

Shrubs for shade?

Postby Joy » May 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks to everyone. Ian, thank you especially for your suggestion about the pieris japonica. It IS stunning.

One further question. I mentioned the suggestions I had already received: Oakleaf or Annabelle Hydrangea, Doublefile Vibernum, Summersweet, and various dogwoods. Has anyone any experience with them in the conditions I have described -- part to full shade, except in spring? Some websites say they will thrive in shade, others call for sun.
Joy

Re: Shrubs for shade?

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Joy wrote:Thanks to everyone. Ian, thank you especially for your suggestion about the pieris japonica. It IS stunning.

One further question. I mentioned the suggestions I had already received: Oakleaf or Annabelle Hydrangea, Doublefile Vibernum, Summersweet, and various dogwoods. Has anyone any experience with them in the conditions I have described -- part to full shade, except in spring? Some websites say they will thrive in shade, others call for sun.

'Annabelle' hydrangea benefits from shade from the mid-day sun. It likes moist soil which might be difficult with maples as their roots compete with other plants in the area for moisture and nutrients. Watering would be a "must". For summersweet (Clethra alnifolia) it is the same story.

Good luck!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk