Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomatoes in pots?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Postby bluewillow » May 06, 2008 8:52 am

Thank you so much Lyn. You need not have gone to the trouble of posting a pic. Thought perhaps you would have measured the container. Much appreciated indeed. Wow, lovely Scarlet Runner ..... very nice. Thank you again for your assist. Now gives me something (container size) to work on.

bw
bluewillow

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2008 10:34 am

I was about ready to call it a night. It was easier to find a photo than go out and measure! :lol: :lol: It is the medium sized container. About 14 inches deep, and measures about 24"x14" . That's just a guess but it should be roughly those dimensions. All the soil from those planters is being recycled into my other planters this year and the tommies will get fresh soil.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluewillow » May 06, 2008 10:39 am

Thank you Lyn. There was no rush ... you're such a sport. I'll be planting both tomatoes and cukes so it ought to be interesting. I have the cages now just need the warm weather and the energy. Won't be long! Soil would be helpful .... lol.

bw
bluewillow

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2008 10:54 am

It should work good for cukes but I would not put 4 into a pot. I don;t know how much room cukes need but I suspect you'll be looking at 1 or possibly 2 to a container. Inge, MareE or Ron would be your best bet for an answer. You might want to post your question on OTGF or PT.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby dj_backq » May 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info and photo, very appreciated!
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby bluewillow » May 06, 2008 2:55 pm

I picked up 7 large storage totes (C.T.) @ $4.99 each reg. $6.99. Blue with white lids. The sale ends this Friday.

bw
bluewillow

Postby B_BQ » May 06, 2008 3:08 pm

[dj_backq"]

Nice avatar!
One of my favourites, tomato and mozzarella, (or better yet buffalo mozzarella), salad, with fresh Basil. I like a Raspberry Vinaigrette with mine!
Nicely plated!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby joan w » May 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks for posting that Lyn. Now I know mine will be fine. It's round but would have the same space.
Image Image
joan w

Postby dj_backq » May 06, 2008 9:00 pm

THanks! I really like this avatar, It represents what I like most... fresh produce from the garden... and italian cooking.

I serve mine with premium quality extra virgin oil and balsamic vinegar which I buy from an importer in Quebec city, organic and fantastic but very pricey!!!
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby bluewillow » May 07, 2008 10:45 am

Andre, you avatar is striking .. Won't be soon before you will be harvesting your own fresh tomatoes.

The containers I picked up are rather ugly blue but will be out of sight and hopefully the tomatoes and cukes won't mind. Must not forget the holes for drainage.

bw
bluewillow

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening