Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Is this a good time to divide my roses?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Eeyore » May 05, 2008 11:32 pm

I've heard that to but never tried it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

dividing roses

Postby clarissa » May 07, 2008 10:52 am

Hi to all Well no matter how long I have spent gardening (so far at least 40 years, in between working and family), it seems there is still much to be learned. For example, I was very surprised to find out that roses can be divided. Does this apply to all the hybrids such as floribundas, hybrids teas etc or only to certain types? Jean
clarissa

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2008 12:29 pm

The hardy roses (Explorer's, Parklands and shrubs) that are grown on their own root can be divided as the offshoots will be the same as the parent plant.

In the case of hybrid teas and most likely floribundas, the tender rose is grafted to a hardy rootstock. Those can't be divided the same way. The subsequent division would be of the rootstock. If you ever see a rosebush that is growing 2 types of roses it is usually because the rootstock has sent up suckers.

With Floribundas and teas you can probably use the layering technique or possibly get the cuttings to root in water. The plants would not be very hardy though, but then anything is worth a try if it doesn't cost you anything! :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Plant Talk