Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Grow lamp vs south facing patio door?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Grow lamp vs south facing patio door?

Postby dj_backq » May 07, 2008 10:38 am

Grow lamp vs south facing patio door? I'm just wondering at this time of year, my seedling being a least one month old, if they are better left under the grow lamp @16h or would do better in front of my south facing patio door?

With re-potting in bigger pots... my lamps are getting overcrowded. I have onions, tomatoes, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary. Which would be better off where??
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2008 12:31 pm

I would be moving them out of the grow lamps and moving them into more natural light conditions. Set them back from the patio door so they don't recieve the full heat and intenstity of the sun right away. You can also start moving them outdoors into a shady warm area and begin hardening them off.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby dj_backq » May 07, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks. We still have frosts here at night, so there not ready to be harden off outside yet.
Andre

dj_backq

Postby dlb » May 07, 2008 3:03 pm

I've been hauling my plants in and out every day for a week now. Set them up in trays and it doesn't take long. They don't have the warmth yet to grow that fast but the plants are so much healthier getting natural light.
Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2008 3:35 pm

I've been hauling mine in and out too. The few hours in the day and early evening helps prepare them for when they finally have to stay out.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » May 07, 2008 4:12 pm

The advantage of a balcony is that some can go out now. I have nasturtium seedlings, 3 hisbiscus, and a lantana out there now. I might bring the seedlings under the lights on cooler days.

They not only get used to what little sun they get, but the air and some effects of the wind.
Image Image
joan w

Postby patty » May 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Yes I agree, move them to the patio door.
I'm a natural window light grower, and although they don't grow as fast as ones under lights they still do well enough tp please me in the garden. On nice days I open the windows, and let the gentle breezes come through. I find by the time they can go outside they are pretty well hardened off this way. Just needs some acclimatizing to grow in direct sun. Good luck!
patty

Postby drshawsie » May 07, 2008 4:23 pm

I was a bit worried when I started bringing mine outside, they had gotten a little leggy (especially the tomato plants). Now that they're in and out everyday, they've started getting thicker instead of taller, starting to get pretty strong in the winds. I have them all staked and tied in their pots just to be safe with them still though.
All of the plants seem to be enjoying the outdoors so far, the cucumber plants seem to enjoy the wind the most.
The comparison between when I was growing them under a grow light, compared with now that they're getting real sunlight though...The difference is incredible. They love the sunlight so much more.
drshawsie

Postby dj_backq » May 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Wow thanks for the great replys everyone. I think I'll be doing some in and outs, I have a great patio for this.
Andre

dj_backq

Postby Lindamct » May 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Starting my Ins and Outs tomorrow :)
Lindamct

Next

Return to Plant Talk