Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Grow lamp vs south facing patio door?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Me too!

Postby evepet » May 07, 2008 5:55 pm

lindamct wrote:Starting my Ins and Outs tomorrow :)

After reading these comments, I feel reassured that I can start the 'outside hardening up' process now too. :) So starting tomorrow, I'm going to take all plants out of my mini-greenhouse and give them exposure for a short duration to the warm outside air. Can anybody suggest how long to leave them out initially? They'll have to go onto my balcony, which has eastern exposure - direct sun until noon, then shaded but still warm from about 1pm through until evening. I'm assuming that it's necessary to avoid the direct sunlight until they've hardened up somewhat... so I should put them out in the afternoon at first and avoid the direct am sun 'burning' them? Would an hour of exposure in the afternoon be about right for the first few days or week? or is longer ok?
evepet

Postby dlb » May 07, 2008 7:29 pm

If you've had them under lights they'll adapt quite quickly. Put them out in the afternoon for the first few days, and if they react well to that, start putting them out in the morning. Try to work it so you are home in the morning the first time you have them out in full light. I find the earlier I start doing this in spring, the better they adapt. I think it is because they are not stressed by the heat as well as the light. My general rule is 10C for days, 5C for night. 10C is a bit lower than the growing temperature for many plants, but the objective is to get them used to being outside.
Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes, put them in the shade for the first few days and then if they adapt well start giving them some sun. I've been taking my Dats in and out for about 2 weeks and one silly Dat would always droop. The others were fine but one just didn't like it outdoors. It has finally stopped drooping and I think they might all be ready for an overnight as soon as the temps stay above 6 or 7C.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Appreciate your help...

Postby evepet » May 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Thank you dlb and Eeyore. :)
evepet

Postby deezee » May 08, 2008 11:55 am

moved the 3 hibiscus out a few weeks back - they go in the garage on cold nights. I had a massive white fly infestation on all 3 plants (all were in different locations in the house) so to prevent other plants getting the flies, the plants went out. The seedlings are still inside
deezee

Postby dj_backq » May 08, 2008 11:59 am

I re-potted my basil and parsley and moved them to the patio door, they seem to be enjoying it! 24 4 inch pots. Still have to do my 36 tomatoes, 9 thyme, 6 rosemary!!!
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Previous

Return to Plant Talk