Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Starting From Seeds In Planter Boxs and Hanging Baskets

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Starting From Seeds In Planter Boxs and Hanging Baskets

Postby Elizabeth Ann » May 08, 2008 9:10 am

So I purchased the below seeds and I am hoping to start them in one large planter box and a few hanging baskets. I am hoping that some one can tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree or if these flowers will work.

Also - any hints to getting big pretty flowers (I have already purchased a bunch of m/grow)

For the large and deep planter box I have to packages of LUPIN (Band of NObles mixed).

For the hanging baskets I four packages of McKenzie "Old Fashion Flower Garden" and four packages of Candytufts.

Any advise or tricks are more then welcome. I really know nothing about gardening and this is only my third summer with a patio.
Elizabeth Ann

Postby Eeyore » May 08, 2008 11:13 am

How big and deep is the one you are going to put lupins in?
How big around are the hanging planters?

Generally planters are over filled but it sounds like you have MORE than enough seeds!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Elizabeth Ann » May 08, 2008 11:18 am

Eeyore wrote:How big and deep is the one you are going to put lupins in?

Generally planters are over filled but it sounds like you have MORE than enough seeds!

It's pretty large. It's a large wooden shipping crate that I have painted black and lined. Last year I grew corn in it.
Elizabeth Ann

Postby Elizabeth Ann » May 08, 2008 11:25 am

Eeyore wrote:

Can I over crawd with the seeds? I was thinking the more seeds I plant the better and then it will just be survial of the fittest.

(This is really only my second season with a garden and I really have no clue as to what I am doing).
Elizabeth Ann

Postby kelly_m » May 08, 2008 2:16 pm

wait till they come up ...if they are too crowded you can always thin it out.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby dlb » May 08, 2008 8:16 pm

It sounds like things are under control. As long as you have good soil, sun, water regularly and thin things out when they're too crowded it should be as easy as watching the flowers grow.

However, do lupins bloom the first year? Seems to me mine didn't bloom until year 2.
Dora
dlb

Re:

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 04, 2014 11:18 pm

[/quote]I was thinking the more seeds I plant the better and then it will just be survial of the fittest.[/quote]

Survival of the fittest works with fauna; but not so much with flora. If you over-seed, some sprouts may indeed die; however, the crowded seedlings remaining will produce stunted plants that will not thrive, and may not even bloom.

Spacing directions on seed packages tend to produce optimum results. You can get away with crowding a bit; but if you overdo it, you will likely be disappointed with the result.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Re: Starting From Seeds In Planter Boxs and Hanging Baskets

Postby seobin » Aug 02, 2014 11:44 am

use some fetilizer too or organic manure.

Indian Recipes
seobin

Re: Starting From Seeds In Planter Boxs and Hanging Baskets

Postby hazimkazim » Dec 10, 2014 4:25 am

you have to use fetilizer
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
hazimkazim

Return to Container Gardening