Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

growing loofahs for sponges

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

growing loofahs for sponges

Postby sweetnuts » May 06, 2008 10:44 am

My greenhouse growers are babysitting the loofahs for us,first time for them as well. Once he gives them to me to plant, what advise can you give, I am directing this to DURGEN, i visited your blog and your plants were outstanding. So for this first time gardener and living in norhern ont. zone 4 what can you tell me. I saw where you mentioned that the fall weather dictated how well they mantured, was that lots of rain or not enough? also thanks for your info. re your fencing used to construct a trelis for them to grow.
sweetnuts

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2008 10:50 am

That's exciting. Looking forward to hearing about your experinces!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: growing loofahs for sponges

Postby Durgan » May 08, 2008 4:44 pm

sweetnuts wrote:My greenhouse growers are babysitting the loofahs for us,first time for them as well. Once he gives them to me to plant, what advise can you give, I am directing this to DURGEN, i visited your blog and your plants were outstanding. So for this first time gardener and living in norhern ont. zone 4 what can you tell me. I saw where you mentioned that the fall weather dictated how well they mantured, was that lots of rain or not enough? also thanks for your info. re your fencing used to construct a trelis for them to grow.

In 2005 my first attempt, I had beautiful vegetation, but no mature fruit, since they were started too late.

In 2006 the Fall weather was extremely wet, and some fruit did not dry sufficiently.

In 2007 some did not mature prior to frost, but I simply left them on the vine, and they were dry come Spring. In 2007 the plants were not as vigours in appearance as I would have liked, since I started them too early, and had to clip them to prevent climbing too much before placing in the ground.

Just wait until this year is over. I think I have everything right, but time will tell.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby murphy » May 08, 2008 5:14 pm

a friend has started some from seed for me...I doubt that they will do much up here in Barrie...but it is always fun to try something new.
murphy

Return to Plant Talk