Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

new prennials

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

new prennials

Postby Prairie Pen » May 08, 2008 10:32 am

Hi.

I have bought a lot of new prennials and was wondering if you think it is safe to put them out if there is still a risk of frost. (-2). Just need a second opinion. Zone 3a or b.

thanks pp
Retirement means a full time commitment to gardening.
Prairie Pen

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 08, 2008 11:08 am

Hi Prairie Pen, I'm typically zone 3b and have not set my perennials out yet. Only a few hrs in the day when it is 14 degrees or more. If you currently have them in your house, say at 21 degrees, then more them out to say 8 degrees, the change can be too dramatic. However if they are in a garage at 10 degrees and put them out to 5 degrees then that is not as dramatic of a temperature change.

Overall, my rule is that if it is dropping below 2 degrees I will not put potted plants out at all. I'm getting restless too, but I think for our zone we just should be patient. Hope this helps.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Sheikea » May 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi there I am zone 3a and have put mine in the ground at night if it calls for cooler weather I go around and put my empty flower pots on them.Seeing as how still to cool to do planters..LOL They have been doing really well.I think they liked the cooler weather when I sunk them into the ground. :D
Sheikea

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Planting in the ground is probably better than taking pots outside. At least the surrounding soil can provide insulation for the roots.

I don't know what your weather forecast is where you are in Sask., but we are expecting snow here. Unfortunately, I won't be planting anything for a bit still.
Scrapinthehat

Return to Plant Talk