Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

plants/garden advice

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

plants/garden advice

Postby micb » May 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Okay here is my garden. It is south facing.
Last year after we moved in it was all about getting the grass and weeds out of the garden and pruning so now I am almost ready for some plants. The yard slopes downwards so the end of the yard is usually quite moist....I just dumped a small pile of sand to mix in to see if that helps with drainage. This is my first house and I am new to gardening so any advice would be wonderful.
I went through Lois Hole's perennial book and really love:
anemone, aster, bee balm, bell flower, black eyed susans, clematis, foxglove, pinks and pasque flowers.
I have dahlias and calalylies to plant still.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Attachments
d flowering plum.jpg
first plant on the left...double flowering plum...my Brother-in-law did some pruning...maybe too much my mom said but I kinda like it...
Resize of left side.jpg
This is the left side...
Resize of whole yard.jpg
The yard slopes down quite a bit. This is taken from our deck.
micb

advice

Postby micb » May 18, 2008 2:05 am

Wouldn't let me include anymore....
Attachments
bottom2.jpg
Here is the cotoneaster and a small pile of sand I was planning on mixing in to help with drainage since this is the bottom of the slope.
Resize of left side3.jpg
two willows and inbetween is a spurge that I am planning on relocating tomorrow. Just past that is a nannaberry, sandcherry and cotoneaster.
Resize of left side 2.jpg
Nice tree just was planted too close to the tree...I figure this will have to go soon. I think it is a Nanking Cherry. Scraggly bush I think is a potentilla
micb

last one!

Postby micb » May 18, 2008 2:24 am

Last few pics!
Attachments
Resize of right side 2.jpg
From the bottom of the yard this is the other side...this is what the other side used to look like. There are a few shoots of raspberry from the neighbours garden next door...thinking I need to either cut them or move them. Next is a small tree growing
bottom right.jpg
Here is another cotoneaster, and small lilac tree and another cotoneaster that needs to be moved or cut down. To the right of that is the spruce tree.
micb

Postby murphy » May 18, 2008 7:36 pm

I would be tempted to make those beds wider...and break the yard up a bit and make a secret room with a couple of chairs and a table so you can sneak in there and enjoy some tea or wine.....here is a kind of an attempt of mine to illustrate what I mean...the white is the garden bed.

[/imgImage[img]

Please ignore the darker green lines as they were mistakes...I am really bad with this kind of thing...the black blobs are supposed to be chairs and a table...and ofcourse the brown thing is an arbor....and then there is a nice vine on the fence behind the chairs...and some shrubs and perennials in the beds.[/img] Another seating area would go around your fire pit.
murphy

Postby micb » May 18, 2008 9:50 pm

great idea murphy! I'll have to mull that one over in my head.....
Moved the spurge earlier today....now the leaves area all droopy :shock:
I mixed it with compost and lots of water....do I just need to wait and see?
micb

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas