Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Watering methods... Soaker hoses? Sprinklers?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Watering methods... Soaker hoses? Sprinklers?

Postby Pepper » May 19, 2008 7:25 am

What do you find to be the most effective, least cumbersome watering method for your gardens? I have several different sized beds (circular, oblong, rectangular) and depending on the bed, I use different sprinklers/hand held attachments, etc....the whole routine is quite cumbersome, so other than installing an irrigation system, I'm looking for ideas as to what other people do for beds that have different shapes.

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

I'm trying something called MPS Secret Soakers...

Postby evepet » May 19, 2008 8:53 am

for the first time this year. I have 2 20" diameter round quite deep containers on my balcony and I've bought one of these for both of them. In theory it sounds like it should work... We'll see what happens.... obviously too early to report on results as yet. I'm hoping to plant them up next weekend. The website shows these and other similiar 'under the ground' systems being used in a regular garden setting, so I thought it might be of interest to you.

http://www.englishcountrygardens.ca/htm ... oaker.html
evepet

Postby Venice » May 19, 2008 11:49 am

I posted this in another thread.

"You can do your own auto sprinklers really reasonably. What hubby did was bury a regular garden hose, and then at certain points in the lawn he'd cut it and attach a small sprinkler ($1.88 at XS Cargo). Then on to the next one. Then we added some soaker hoses in the beds. They all go on a splitter off the water spigot that has a timer. They can come on at 6 am every other day, or however you want. The main hose we found on the side of the road in someones garbage hhe. The most expensive part was the timer and splitter. It's amazing how easy it is, we're doing the same setup in the front garden this year. (too bad I accidentally sliced through the buried hose with the edger hahaha, I think it'll be the perfect place for a sprinkler) "

I can't believe how easy it is, and all I have to worry about are the pots on the deck.

VEn
Venice

Postby Pepper » May 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks Ven! I did search for this topic (so as not to repeat a thread - honest! :) ) but couldn't find anything. This sounds like a good option - may just have to try it - thanks!
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Venice » May 19, 2008 1:10 pm

hahha no problem it was in a different subject about yards, and I added that at the end. I just copy/pasted.

Ven
Venice

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas