Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Fresh lasagna

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2008 10:38 am

Looks great Kat! I've tried to convince Rick we should be using this method but he doesn't want to raise the level of the soil! :roll: :roll: I may try to get him to go for it on the back part of the yard.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Blossom » May 20, 2008 10:41 am

Katherine - you have such a lovely view. My lasagna garden I did a few years ago. has been one of the nicest gardens I have. Everything in there grows ! This past spring I made a new garden, and cut out all the sod. It was a ton of work compared to the lasagna method.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Lasagna bed

Postby Jewel1065 » May 20, 2008 2:16 pm

I did this for my veggie garden a couple of years ago. Worked like a charm! I will never dig again!
Jewel1065

What a great view!

Postby evepet » May 20, 2008 4:25 pm

It's beautiful. I hope you are able to take a breather often and sit on your deck, relaxing and enjoying your beautiful gardens and that water view.
evepet

Postby Katherine » May 21, 2008 1:04 am

Hi you guys, thanks for all the positive comments. I know i am never going back to digging up sod again.

Lyn, is Rick aware that a raised bed creates better aeration to the roots, and warmer soil temperatures? Whats his reason for not wanting to raise the level of the soil?

I am not sure where the raised bed technique comes from in gardening and how old it is, I suspect its as old as cultivation. It would be interesting to find out more about the technique of raised bed cultivation.

ke
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » May 21, 2008 10:11 am

The area we are working on this year doesn't have any room for raising the soil level. It is already higher than the retaining walls and sidewalk so it would be difficult to add another 4 to 6 inches on top. The other area could definately stand to be raised up 4 or 6 inches though.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas