Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Do you have a gardening/yard budget?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Do you have a gardening/yard budget?

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 24, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm just curious how everyone else tackles a new project...or each spring. Basically I'm wondering if you budget first and make sure your project fits within the budget or do you buy the desired plants and materials without much thought about the total cost.

I am generally a budget first then buy. Having said that, I make some impulse buys in there...so I just give something else up for that year and put it on next year's wish list. :)
Scrapinthehat

Postby B_BQ » May 24, 2008 7:19 pm

It depends how big the project is!

This year I really want a garden shed, but not just any old shed! I want it to compliment the gardens and the house, as it will be in full view. So, budget is a big issue. So far we've found quite nice sheds ranging from $1000 - $5000!. That's without the base being built! $5000+ is not within our budget, so we're shopping around still.

As far as buying plants, shrubs, etc. there's no budget. It usually costs me around $250+ per year for annuals. I have quite a few hanging baskets, window boxes and pots, so I do need quite a lot.

Trees are definitely budgeted. I shop around when I know what I want, and can usually get a good price, i.e. I, like Kelly, wanted a Magnolia tree this year. We refused to pay $179 plus taxes for a 'named' Magnolia tree, and bought a nice sized generic one from Home Despot for $54+.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby dj_backq » May 24, 2008 7:39 pm

I find that when it comes to gardening I manage my budget as well as the US government!!!
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby Pepper » May 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Budget :?

I have no control over my impulse gardening purchases. It's the only area of my life where I spend this way (too much). I ALWAYS come home with WAY more than I planned on getting. I need help.

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 24, 2008 7:48 pm

dj_backq...too funny! Does that mean you start with a budget but don't adhere to it? Or pretend to have a budget and buy whatever you want? :wink:
Scrapinthehat

Postby hosta crazy » May 24, 2008 7:57 pm

I try every year to keep in my budget but I blow it all the time as there is always something new that I want to try and grow or need a new accessory for the garden.
You're braver then you believe, stronger then you seem, and smarter than you think.
www.rosseauroad.on.ca
hosta crazy

Postby evepet » May 24, 2008 9:12 pm

I generally THINK I know what I want/need and approximately what it should cost when I hit the nursery/garden centre, etc..... but I'm particularly susceptible to finding more plants that I 'must' have, and I always end up walking away with more than I originally planned. LOL. I visited the CT Garden Centre closest to me on Thursday afternoon, thinking to get just a few plants to 'flesh out' my planters. Of course I ended up with double what I intended. But I did my final transplants/planting of balcony planters today and everything fitted in, and I think (hope!!) I'll be happy with the results.
evepet

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 25, 2008 1:03 am

evepet...I'm sure those planters will be lovely. Be sure to post pics once they have started to bloom.

Sounds like most gardeners have a weakness for plants and the budget goes out the window. Glad I'm not the only one who must have just one more plant...ok two....and maybe that one on sale...and...and...and :oops:
Scrapinthehat

Postby evepet » May 25, 2008 8:01 am

Scrapinthehat wrote:evepet...I'm sure those planters will be lovely. Be sure to post pics once they have started to bloom.

Sounds like most gardeners have a weakness for plants and the budget goes out the window. Glad I'm not the only one who must have just one more plant...ok two....and maybe that one on sale...and...and...and :oops:

Yep... sounds like it's a common problem. :D At least this year I have to 'travel' to get to the closest garden centre. It was a real challenge for the past few years (before I moved) ... everytime I walked to the Independent Grocery Store, I walked right by the CT Garden Centre. You can imagine the temptation. :lol: The only reason I was able to stop buying perennials, etc., is that I had all available garden space packed quite full already!! But I think it paid off - last July when I sold my townhouse, the buyer commented on my lovely flowerbeds!
evepet

Postby ColleenatStar » May 25, 2008 8:45 am

I think of all plant purchases as an investment for my future. Every place we have sold had the curb appeal for selling. I am only holding back due to prepared beds not being available. Also no plants to be put in right now around the house with hubby planning to add a second storey and stucco the exterior next year. But am planning a rock garden and shrub/bulb bed to be made up this fall.
ColleenatStar

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas