Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Soaker hose - argghh

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Soaker hose - argghh

Postby Pepper » May 24, 2008 8:29 pm

So I bought a soaker hose at Crappy Tire on Friday and was planning on laying it under my mulch in my vegetable garden, which I'm planting tomorrow. So I thought, well today I'll just test it to see how much water actually seeps out. I have to say though, I was skeptical because I got 50' of it at Crappy Tire and it was only $14.99 (first red flag). I thought I had learned my lesson years ago about buying cheap stuff!

Sure enough, I got it hooked up and the damn thing leaks at the part where there is the pressed fitted collar right before the coupling. There's no way of adjusting or tightening this part. I'm so frustrated! So it will definitely be returned.

I still like the idea of a soaker hose though - any ideas where I could get better quality? Should I just try my local gardening centre?

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby B_BQ » May 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Pepper:
You could try Lee Valley. No problems with quality, and if things don't work they refund, or exchange, without any fuss.
Good quality goods and good quality service.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Venice » May 25, 2008 5:41 pm

We bought ours at Costco 4 years ago, no problems so far.

Ven
Venice

Postby Pepper » May 25, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks BBQ and Ven - I checked out Lee Valley (hadn't been to their website before) and bookmarked their soaker hose, just in case I wasn't able to grab one this morning at the local garden centre. Turns out they had them and better quality than Crappy Tire, so I'm happy. I've laid down 2 x 50' in the vegetable garden, with mulch on top, so I'm hoping this new system works!

I'm having the Lee Valley catalogue sent to me, so I'm excited about that - they do seem to have good stuff - thanks for the tip BBQ!

Alas Ven, no Costco in Peterborough yet... :cry:

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby everchnginggrden » May 25, 2008 10:45 pm

We just laid out our system today in the veggie garden using drip irrigation (all soaker hoses). The equipment all came from Lee Valley and works great.

Here are some pics.

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca/blog/blogindex.html

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Postby Pepper » May 26, 2008 5:48 am

Wow Sharon, that's impressive. I notice in your "how to" section, you mention that the soaker hose shouldn't be buried. I have covered mine with cedar mulch....would you recommend that I remove the mulch? Thanks.

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby everchnginggrden » May 27, 2008 10:15 pm

Covering them would help keep in the moisture as it would be at the soil level rather than having to soak through the mulch. The only problem we have in the back is with dirt getting in (my veggie garden is not mulched) or the chippies digging things up. If the mulch is not too fine it may not clog the soaker hoses so you may be OK.

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Hose

Postby otnorot » Jun 08, 2008 10:45 am

If a hose connection leaks try putting in another gasket.Or put a bucket under tap and loop hose into bucket and out again. This way I have warm water to water with.
Bill
otnorot

Postby butterfly » Jun 08, 2008 5:55 pm

I bought my soaker hoses at Superstore at the end of season sale 2 years ago

I got 4, 50 ft long each

Then I bought one of those copper thingies that I hook 3 -4 hoses up at once but can have each hose going in a different direction

I forget what that thing is call but works great I paid more for it than the hoses $24.99 plus tax

I paid $4.99 for each 50 ft section of hose and they work great and the fittings are tight

I haven't got it hooked up yet. I;ll take a pic as I forget what it is called but since one of the gardens is round (pool garden) I can have it going in all directions as I need it to be
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jun 13, 2008 7:02 pm

Hey BF: Us old timers call what you describe a "water manifold". Don't know what youngsters call em.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas