Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Lace Cap Hydrangeas

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Lace Cap Hydrangeas

Postby Dolly » May 30, 2008 3:37 pm

My husband bought me the most beautiful plant of lace cap hydrangeas and I planted them in an urn on the patio.

We took it inside for the nights when it was cool. I live in Zone 6. I did water it well as I do have a garden full of hydrangeas and know a bit about them. This is the first lace cap I have owned. One night when it was only 5 degrees we didn't take it in and it's losing all of it's leaves and the flowers are losing their blossoms.

I left the plant in the urn and cut everything back to the roots.

My question is,,,,have I done the right thing? Should I take the plant out of the urn and plant it in the garden? I do have to lose it as it was a rather expensive purchase and would love to save it.
Dolly

Postby Dolly » Jun 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks Daisy. I have planted it in my garden and hope it will survive.
Dolly

Postby loretta » Jun 04, 2008 3:17 pm

I've had a lace cap hydrangea for several years. It sits down on the cold side of the house where the snow will often get deep each winter, is largely ignored but keeps right on growing. Don't give up on your plant.
loretta

Postby Dolly » Jun 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Thanks Loretta I am hoping it makes it as it's one of the most beautiful one's I have seen. I have many types in the garden but non like this one.
Dolly

Return to Container Gardening