Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

What can I plant under these trees?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

What can I plant under these trees?

Postby ColleenatStar » May 31, 2008 12:23 am

This stand of birch trees gets a lot of sun. Hubby says since the rock garden turned out so well, I should do something here. I thought maybe some spring flowering bulbs with a ground cover to keep out the weeds. Anybody have any ideas? It gets slightly shady sun for afternoon. My thanks to anybody that gives me some help.
Attachments
116s.jpg
ColleenatStar

Postby Eeyore » Jun 01, 2008 11:33 pm

Do you want something with some height? I'd be tempted to go with some shrubs. Maybe something like Burning Bush.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sheikea » Jun 02, 2008 9:58 am

me too or a nines bark type or perhaps some lilacs :D
Sheikea

Postby Eeyore » Jun 02, 2008 10:10 am

I thought of lilacs too Sheikea but I think there might be too much root competition. Ninebarks would be lovely!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ColleenatStar » Jun 03, 2008 7:51 am

I looked up ninebarks and it looks like it would be perfect for under the trees. Just have to keep an eye on the nurseries/Cdn t and Walmart for sales. Might soon be unemployed for awhile so gardening costs have to stay down.
ColleenatStar

Postby Eeyore » Jun 03, 2008 10:15 am

If you wait until the fall the prices at places like CT and Superstore will drop by about 1/2. Just watch the flyers.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jun 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Varigated dogwood bushes would also do well there because they like a fair amount of water as do birch trees so kinda compliment each other. As well...the varigated dogwood has red bark hence add interest to the planting when the leaves are gone & snow is on the ground.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby ColleenatStar » Jun 15, 2008 7:29 am

Still waiting for sales to happen to put those plants in. Especially since I already placed my fall order for bulbs. That bed is going to be around 100' by 3'.
ColleenatStar

Postby murphy » Jun 17, 2008 8:38 pm

I grow virginia blue bells, daffs, tulips, crocus, poor mans orchids, lilies, hosta, shasta daisies, day lilies, oriental lilies, golden rod, phlox, astilbe, peony, violets, sedums, just to name a few..under my birch. I don't find the roots to be too much of a problem...and I have found the birch quite forgiving of my digging and adding to the soil around its base. It sounds like you are planning a rather big bed with lots of room for lots of stuff....lucky you. :) :D :lol:
murphy

Postby ColleenatStar » Jun 19, 2008 8:01 am

I still plan to put the shrubs under these trees. I do have a 100' fence facing the road that is getting prepped this summer for a bulb bed this fall. Hence the bulb order. I ordered a 1/2 bushel of assorted daffodils, asiatic and oriental lilies, another lily that is quite shorter and irises. I will still keep my eye open for those great deals later on in the fall that I read about because I know I will have the room.
ColleenatStar

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas