Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

New to container gardening

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

New to container gardening

Postby Godslamb » Jun 01, 2008 9:53 am

I have not really done any containergardening, but I have alot of cute and whimsical containers for my garden that I have regular plants in. My question is: Can I plant plants in these conatiners even if they have no drainage holes? Some are ceramic, so I don't think I can create holes in them. I had heard somewhere that if you crinkle aluminum foil under the plant, (or maybe it was the plastic container the plant came in) it will help keep the water away from the plant so it doesn't mold or whatever. Any ideas? I have about 6 containers with no holes. Thanks.
Carol

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
~Dorothy Frances Gurney, "Garden Thoughts"
Godslamb

Postby B_BQ » Jun 01, 2008 10:10 am

Hi:
Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to plant anything in a container which doesn't have drain holes. It would be almost certain death for anything planted. There just wouldn't be any way of knowing how much water is still sitting in the bottom of the pot.
Of course, you could put another container, with drain holes, into your ceramic pots, but you would have to check, especially after a rain, that there's no water sitting in the bottom of the pot. It would just mean checking every day, and emptying out any standing water.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: New to container gardening

Postby Lizzie » Jun 03, 2008 10:54 am

Godslamb wrote:Some are ceramic, so I don't think I can create holes in them.

You should be able drill holes in your ceramic pots. Just use a regular drill bit - a masonry bit (which seems like it would do the trick) would probably just make a way bigger hole than you want. When you start drilling, do not push down hard on the pot. Patiently let the weight of the drill and the sharpness of the blade do the cutting and you should be fine. I've made holes in 5 terracotta pots with no mishaps (so far) :wink:

Lizzie
Lizzie

Postby B_BQ » Jun 03, 2008 10:59 am

I also have ceramic pots which I use outside. However, I don't put drain holes in them because I like to bring the ceramic pots into the house in the winter, and use them to contain house plants.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Container Gardening