Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Cistern pond...filled with water...

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 04, 2008 11:17 pm

What a transformation. Great work.
Scrapinthehat

Postby evepet » Jun 05, 2008 10:10 am

Got to give you A++ for turning that cistern into a really lovely water feature. Great idea and super job! I can hardly wait to see your next f/up when you get some more plants in and around it. :D
evepet

Pond plants

Postby Backyard Gardiner » Jun 05, 2008 1:47 pm

To cut down on algae, try to get some floating pond plants to cover up the pond's surface (algae thrive on sunlight). They will also keep the water temperature down during the hot summer months, so your fish don't boil to death!
Backyard Gardiner

Postby murphy » Jun 06, 2008 9:53 pm

you can grow some Cana lilies in the pond.....or yarrow. Don't worry about $4 for a water hyacinth as they multiply very fast and for your $4 you will end up with a pond full by the end of july (pretty good value)...I usually end up throwing armfuls into the compost during the summer. There are some native water Iris that you can try (they are usually cheap...or free if you go hunting and dig out yourself....same for marsh marigolds). Water lilies are long lived so investing some money in one is not so bad...check out home depot they often sell them for about $19....you can also check with friends with ponds and perhaps they will give you a piece of theirs. I have had the same lilly in my pond for over ten years...so that would work out to be about $3 a year :lol: I just splurged and got a butterfly koi for that same price on the basis that I expect (if a raccoon doesn't eat it) that it will live for a very very long time...and it was sooooooooo pretty. :P
murphy

Postby murphy » Jun 07, 2008 10:31 am

did I say Yarrow....sorry...I meant Tarrow...big difference...LOL...it is a tropical that has large leaves that look much like and elephant ear. YOu can take it out in the fall when you take the Canna out...and let it dry out and store it with the Canna in a cool dark place till late winther when you would take it out and start watering it again.

Water lilies don't require any special tretment to over winter....they should be planted deeper in the pond than the other plants you have...they can go three feet to four feet under the water...and just leave them there. In the old days they would be in pots on the bottom of the pond..but it is becoming more common to just plant them on the bottom (you can anchor the roots with some pond soil and aquarium gravel. If it comes in a pot...you can leave it in there for this year. Mine burst throug the pot a long time ago and rooted itself in the gunk that collects at the bottom of the pond over the years. Don't worry about you little fishies...you will be suprised to see how big they will grow.
murphy

Postby bluewillow » Jun 07, 2008 2:50 pm

C.T. had water plants Daisy. Don't know the price though but you could always phone and save you the run. Again, what a beautiful pond ... amazing.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Pond

Postby otnorot » Jun 08, 2008 10:36 am

Lst the pond age for a few weeks before you put in fish. If your not fussy about what type of fish you have then buy feeder fish (Goldfish used to feed big fish). Mine are 12 inches and more.
Bill
otnorot

Postby butterfly » Jun 08, 2008 6:26 pm

I don't know a thing about water plants but your pond is lovely but holly smackers when you get the plants in,""" Paradise """ wow!!!

Your place sure is nice
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas