Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Some very tiny flying black bugs on Mint plant!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Some very tiny flying black bugs on Mint plant!

Postby ihsn » Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi, I have my spearmint and peppermint planted in a plastic pot indoors in my kitchen where it gets some sunlight in the evening time. Since a week I am noticing some tiny black bug like things flying when i water my mint plant. I usually see those kind of tiny little bugs on over-ripe bananas sometime if not thrown away. What are those bugs and how do I get rid of them. Are they harmful to my mint plant?
What care should be given to my mint which recieves little sunshine and is indoors?
I used to keep it outdoors, but once a groundhog almost ate my whole peppermint plant! But thankfully its regrowing again.. So, I will never ever think of keeping it outdoors !
And the stems of the mint are not strong to stand straight, they fall and kind of creep on the soil surface, the stems seem weak. Help!
ihsn

Postby Mervyn » Jun 16, 2008 4:46 pm

I believe those are fungas gnats, they can affect any indoor plant. usually it's from overwatering, let the plant go dry between watering.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/Articles/ ... gnat.shtml

If you suspect houseplant pots of harboring fungus gnats or fruit flies, you can treat the soil with insecticidal soap or incorporate diatomaceous earth in the soil to kill the maggots. Another approach is to cut back on watering so the soil dries out between waterings. Any maggots present in the soil will dry out, and lack of water will reduce fungal growth and so reduce the food supply for adult fungus gnats. A third option is a combination of letting the soil dry between waterings and then watering with a solution of water and insecticidal soap.
Mervyn

Postby ihsn » Jun 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks! I didnt notice I was over watering them.
ihsn

Return to Plant Talk