Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

What to do with this space?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

What to do with this space?

Postby nosogreemthumb » Jun 18, 2008 8:48 am

Hi there. I'm new here. I have this space that is awkward to design. I have a couple ideas but really would like to see what someone else can suggest here. Please excuse the weeds and such, they are all gone now and so are the rocks. I have a lot of outdoor work to do this year and I want to start here. Thanks for any advice you can offer!! :)
Attachments
PICT0008compressed.JPG
PICT0004compressed.JPG
PICT0003compressed.JPG
nosogreemthumb

Postby nosogreemthumb » Jun 18, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks Daisy.
I'm in zone 5a. We do have weeping tile (?spelling) installed for water drainage but I do agree it is a tricky situation. I like the decking to the window idea and originally thought thats what I'd do. Hubby needs to be convinced... I'm pretty sure I can handle that one! lol. Thanks again.
nosogreemthumb

Postby countrychic » Jun 19, 2008 4:39 pm

I agree with the water seeping into your basement.

What about making it level with the the highest part, placing some paving stones, or stones, and still do container planting? You could put a bistro set there, if it is a nice spot to sit and gaze.
countrychic

Postby nosogreemthumb » Jun 19, 2008 7:03 pm

I see a bistro set in my future! Myself and hubby like the idea of the extended decking to the house/window... the area below it is a bit tricky. I need a gutter put in over head so that I can utilize the ground below it... not sure what I'm putting there...maybe just some ground cover, or a small shrub??
nosogreemthumb

Postby Venice » Jun 19, 2008 9:31 pm

Ok so you build the deck all the way to the wall, and then you do something like this over top.

Ven
Venice

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas