Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Free peonies this fall

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Free peonies this fall

Postby ColleenatStar » May 25, 2008 9:02 am

Last year while clearing up the yard I came across some old bed sites. I dug up 3 front end loaders full of peony roots. They were transplanted and didn't do well last year but working on the beds this month most of them had new sprouts on them. If you are interested in getting some later on this year(I want to make sure they are truly doing well). I would like to trade for a different perrennial clipping if you have one. I will post a pic of what they look like. From the depth of the roots (2-3') that they were and some of the sizes (forearm width) I would say that they were probably planted with the original farmstead. :?:
ColleenatStar

Postby ColleenatStar » May 25, 2008 9:03 am

Oh shoot I forgot to mention I am in the Edmonton area, sorry!
ColleenatStar

Postby kso » Jun 07, 2008 11:52 pm

I would be interested in trading with you, I live in Toronto, maybe we can work something out later come fall?
kso

Postby ColleenatStar » Jun 08, 2008 9:40 pm

I am sure we can. I will try to keep track of what is coming up where. So far this spring I have about 5 dozen plants coming up. I know, now that we got rain today, I should see that number climb.
ColleenatStar

Free Peonies

Postby shellgirl1339 » Jun 12, 2008 11:04 am

Collene, I noticed you have peonies for fall planting. I would like some but I have nothing to trade. My Husband and I bought a houe in August of last year and there was nothing here. Last week tornadoes rushed through and plants I had started were all destroyed. I really can't afford to replenish what I had. Out of curiosity, how does one ship plants? I would be glad to pay for the shipping to have some hardy peonies around our place. Thank you for your time in reading and answering. It is appreciated.
shellgirl1339

Postby ColleenatStar » Jun 15, 2008 7:37 am

I don't know how I would ship the roots. So far we have 83 plants come up in various stages but nothing close to blooming. With the root balls varying from the size of a small book to the size of a toaster I know they are going to have to be thinned out again this fall. That is without any significant rain. Edmonton has had some this week but we live in a place with some strange wind currents and just watch the storms dance around our place and then move on.
ColleenatStar

Free Peonies

Postby shellgirl1339 » Jun 15, 2008 8:29 am

Your place sounds wonderful! What a blessing! In talking to my husband, he thought that shipping the roots in the fall wouldn't be too hard. Once they arrived here we would just immediately plant them in a protected area and hope for the best come spring. We could do an over night with Fedex or something and that should do it pretty well. I can check with Fedex and find out how the shipping is priced. I may be able to purchase the mailing box here and send it to you. That would make it much simpler, don't you think? Please advise how that would be possible. I am so very new at this sort of thing. I do appreciate you responding so quickly. You are very kind. Thank you for your help, Colleen.
shellgirl1339

Re: Free Peonies

Postby butterfly » Jun 19, 2008 1:20 pm

shellgirl1339 wrote:Your place sounds wonderful! What a blessing! In talking to my husband, he thought that shipping the roots in the fall wouldn't be too hard. Once they arrived here we would just immediately plant them in a protected area and hope for the best come spring. We could do an over night with Fedex or something and that should do it pretty well. I can check with Fedex and find out how the shipping is priced. I may be able to purchase the mailing box here and send it to you. That would make it much simpler, don't you think? Please advise how that would be possible. I am so very new at this sort of thing. I do appreciate you responding so quickly. You are very kind. Thank you for your help, Colleen.

Best time to plant them is from Aug on but no later than end of Sept

and don't plant the roots deep. They won't bloom if you do

Just barely cover the roots and yes they will look droopy for a year or so bu don't worry about them. They are the toughest plant of all
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby shellgirl1339 » Jun 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Thank you for the advice! I need all the help I can get! Have a great day! And blessings to you and yours!

Shellgirl
shellgirl1339

Postby kso » Jun 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Actually, sending plants (especially roots) is really easy and it is way cheaper to send via canada post instead of fedex (about half the price). You can see how much it'll cost at the canada post website:http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/rc/res/bin/rc_res-e.asp

Check out this site for info on dividing peonies:
http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk ... eonies.htm

Basically you need to dig up the whole peony and wash off as much dirt as you can. Then, cut up the peony into smaller pieces with 2-3 eyes (or growing points) each and send wrapped in a moist cloth or moist newspaper. Newly divided peonies will not likely flower the first year and if they do, flowers are sparse. They need about 2-3 years to settle in and bloom again.
kso

Next

Return to Garden Seed Exchange