Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Hanging Baskets = Robin's Nests?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Hanging Baskets = Robin's Nests?

Postby Pepper » Jun 20, 2008 8:11 am

Shortly after I hung my 2 hanging baskets, I noticed robins building nests in them. I didn't have the heart to discourage them halfway through their masterpiece, so let the plants die in them and now have baby robins in both baskets and mom and dad furiously feeding them. It's very sweet to watch, but not quite the point of having hanging baskets :lol:

Is this common? Once the fledglings have fledged, will the robins desert the nest?

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby murphy » Jun 20, 2008 9:44 pm

a woman I know from the Seattle area..on another forum I post on...she posted pictures of birds in her hanging pots last year.

Personally I would rather a basket of baby birdies than any flower...I think it is just so cool. I had a cardinal nesting in the cedar right by my kithchen window...about five inches from the window. She had three little babies and I was so looking forward to watching her raise them...then a raccoon came one night and took the babies..mom left the nest the next day and never came back...I was so sad. :cry:
murphy

Postby Pepper » Jun 21, 2008 7:31 am

ohhh that's heartbreaking :cry:

You're right though, it's much more fun to have the baby birds to watch than the flowers - I find myself wondering where the hell Mom is if she's been gone too long and I see their little beaks reaching for food - I'm so tempted to find a worm for them! Yup, I'm getting kind of attached to the sweeties.

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas