Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Biting Insect Protection.

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Biting Insect Protection.

Postby Durgan » Jun 27, 2008 6:31 pm

http://paixah.notlong.com 27 June 2008 Mosquito Net.

This covering is made from plastic screening from any local hardware store. It is four feet wide and sewed up both sides along the long dimension with simple slits for the arms. It doesn't tangle on bushes, and allows free air flow, and can be removd easily.

I use it for, gardening, camping out and walking in the bush, and for sleeping outdoors at anytime there are too many insects, that want to attack.

Ths slight stiffness of the fabric is an advantage, since the fabric doesn't cling to the skin and presents an effective barrier to most of the insects. Gloves or some type of musk oil gives almost complete protection from biting insects. It is low cost and effective.
Durgan

Postby butterfly » Jun 28, 2008 7:15 pm

I have one and can't wear it and neither can any one else who has tried it

I can't breath in it. stifling just no air circulation

Mine is different I guess. I bought it as the bug jacket. it has a hood and long sleeves all made of this netting
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Durgan » Jun 28, 2008 7:52 pm

butterfly wrote:I have one and can't wear it and neither can any one else who has tried it

I can't breath in it. stifling just no air circulation

Mine is different I guess. I bought it as the bug jacket. it has a hood and long sleeves all made of this netting

The one you are talking about is completely different than the screen type, I depict. I have one of those silly commercial ones, and found it could not be worn due to the stiffling effect. There use to be some in War Surplus. It probably got more troops killed from the misery, than offering bug protection.

The stiff home made one I depict has plenty of air circulation, and there is almost no stiffling effect. I slept in it last summer for 25 days in the back of my van at various sites on a trip to Salmon Arm, BC and return. At one place there must have been 10,000 mosquitoes buzzing around my head, and I actually enjoyed the experience. This was near water close to Elliot Lake in Northern Ontario.

There is possibly a slight reduction in visability, and I contemplated puttting a piece of plastic for viewing, but found it wasn't necessary, since the screen mesh is more than adequate in practice. This mesh is much wider than the commercial type, yet it is sufficiently small to eliminate most insects. A small cap could be utilized to move the mesh further from the face, but again I found this was not necessary.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Meggylou » Jun 29, 2008 11:00 am

Elliot Lake eh? where exactly where you. I spent most of my childhood summers there, my dad grew up there, and grandparents lived there up until a few years ago.
Your bug shield really does look heavy duty. I was debating buying one last night, but chose not to, I figure I'll just use lots of bug spray and deal with the stink.
I just need to move to an island on an ocean and hope there aren't any bugs...didn't think I got bitten ONCE years ago on Vancouver island.
Meggylou

Postby Durgan » Jun 29, 2008 12:06 pm

meggylou wrote:Elliot Lake eh? where exactly where you. I spent most of my childhood summers there, my dad grew up there, and grandparents lived there up until a few years ago.
Your bug shield really does look heavy duty. I was debating buying one last night, but chose not to, I figure I'll just use lots of bug spray and deal with the stink.
I just need to move to an island on an ocean and hope there aren't any bugs...didn't think I got bitten ONCE years ago on Vancouver island.

You don't buy the bug shield shown. You make it.

Here is one area of touring, and I often sleep along the road when travelling.
http://rumoh.notlong.com 19-24 July 2007 Pictures have short descriptive annotations.

http://xrl.us/qi6k 10 August 2006 Bush Tour 3-9 Aug Elliot Lake Area
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Venice » Jun 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Very nice, Neena looks like the perfect little camping companion.

Ven
Venice

Postby Meggylou » Jun 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Durgan, I just meant for convenience sake I was going to buy one but opted not to. No time right now to make one..though if I do more camping in the future it's a definite must!
Those pictures were incredible!!! I really enjoyed looking at them, thanks for the link.
Meggylou

Postby butterfly » Jul 01, 2008 1:34 pm

The bug jacket I have the netting or any of the material is not stiff

The netting around the face is so closely woven to prevent flies from getting in

there is no air flow. Gives you the smothering feeling.

I can't wear it

I bought it from Lee valley $40 wasted. I'd rather use the bug spray and breath
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas