Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Anyone willing to sell to me some healthy mint plants?

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Anyone willing to sell to me some healthy mint plants?

Postby ihsn » Jul 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi, I was looking for some healthy mint plans to buy. Where from can I can buy those?
Also, if anyone is willing to sell me some healthy garden mint or spearmint, please let me know.
ihsn

Postby B_BQ » Jul 05, 2008 2:48 pm

The nurseries still have a lot of herbs, including mint, for sale.
Everything is on sale too! :D
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby ihsn » Jul 09, 2008 6:12 pm

I have searched most of the nurseries here in toronto, and all have only peppermints. What I am looking for is Crinkly-leaf Spearmint, .
Anyone willing to trade with me for a healthy Crinkly-leaf Spearmint plant?
ihsn

Postby TrailBlaze » Jul 09, 2008 6:19 pm

If you live close to me, I'd be happy to share some of my four types of mint. One is very special to me; it's called Egyptian Mint, and I bought it from Richter's (of Goodwood, ON) 14 years ago. They stopped selling it a few years later, because it's a slow-grower and therefore not too profitable for them. I love it, and want to share and spread it around as much as possible. It isn't invasive, cuz it's slow. But it is quite sweet, more spearminty than peppermint, and reminds me of Moroccan mint tea I once had in a restaurant.

I also have Thai mint, chocolate mint and peppermint. The chocolate is great.

Where are you?
Diane zone 5a
TrailBlaze

Postby ihsn » Jul 09, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks, Just sent you a pm!
ihsn

Postby ihsn » Jul 10, 2008 12:26 am

Anyone else?!
ihsn

Postby TrailBlaze » Jul 10, 2008 8:54 am

Have you tried Richters, in Goodwood Ontario? Not too far from Toronto. They are worth a visit.....it's a great little nursery for herbs of all sorts, been there for years and years. And they deliver plants through the mail, in handy cartons.
Diane zone 5a
TrailBlaze

Postby ihsn » Jul 13, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks, I will try that sometime!

What about propagating them through stem cuttings? If anyone have you have tried it, let me know about the procedure.
ihsn

Root shoots and seeds

Postby Ont-Can » Jul 20, 2008 11:39 am

There are so many members of the Mint family in the gardens for it's flowers or it's leaves, that chances are you have many already, but not always kinds that are eaten.
All members of the Mint family spread like nuts, and tend to be the most common flower neighbours offer each other, just in an effort to keep control of them.
A few examples in my garden include;
- Lamb's Ears
- Bee Balm
- Obedient Plant
- Sages and Salvias
- I also have others that I now treat as weeds and pull from my Lawns and gardens all the time.

These are all mints and the Lambs Ears spread everywhere by seed, while the Obedient plant spreads by roots.

A quick way to recognize most members of the mint family is to look at the stem, if the stem is perfectly Square with 4 flat sides chances are it is a type of mint or a member of the mint family.
Ont-Can

mint

Postby sboricic » Jul 27, 2008 9:27 pm

I have lots of mint in our backyard. Some I just cut with the lawn mower, other is growing in a dry stream in the backyard. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow and post it. Maybe someone can tell me what kind it actually is. If it is the type of mint you are looking for, I can give you lots of it. I live close to Peterborough, Ontario.
sboricic

Next

Return to Garden Seed Exchange