Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Pruning a Mugo Pine

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Pruning a Mugo Pine

Postby backyard_rookie » Jul 07, 2008 11:17 am

We've got a Mugo pine in front of our house that is in need of some help... it's kind of lopsided growing very thick on one side near the front steps whereas the other side is more evenly distributed...

this pine also is beginning to grow out to a point where walking on the sidewalk has become difficult. any ideas as to how best to prune this type of tree? any thoughts appreciated.
backyard_rookie

Postby Eeyore » Jul 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Mugo pines should be pruned every year to control growth. The general rule is 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the new growth but since yours is beyond that point I would take out some of the branches on the heavier side to balance it and shorten the limbs to provide room on the sidewalk.

A photo would be helpful....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

mugo pine

Postby backyard_rookie » Jul 07, 2008 6:07 pm

thanks for you comments - i'll upload a photo asap.
backyard_rookie

photo - mugo

Postby backyard_rookie » Jul 07, 2008 6:10 pm

http://claykornelson.spaces.live.com/ph ... lideshow=0

this might work? by the way - if the answer is - it looks rough, pull it out and start over, that wouldn't necessarilly be horrible news - if i can save it i will however as we'll likely be unloading the home in the next 12 months.
backyard_rookie

Postby Eeyore » Jul 08, 2008 12:38 am

I am not a fan of mugo pines and that one has been planted too close to the house BUT since you don't plan to stay there I would trim it back so that both sides match in height and cut back the worst offenders that are crowding the steps and sidewalk. Be careful not to sut too far back though as it will just look like it's been lopped off.
Nice fish BTW! :wink:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby punman » Jul 08, 2008 9:29 pm

I cut the "Candles" on mine every summer before they open to keep the plant compact and bushy.
Be sure on heavy hacking as the limbs you sever will not grow back.
Gardening - Can you dig it?
punman

candles?

Postby backyard_rookie » Jul 08, 2008 10:25 pm

what do you mean by candles? not sure i follow completely.

thanks for your help all.
backyard_rookie

Postby Eeyore » Jul 08, 2008 11:48 pm

The "candles" are the new groth at the ends of the limbs.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby punman » Jul 08, 2008 11:58 pm

If you cut a branch off right at the trunk, it is gone forever. If you cut the tips off of the new growth (candle) on a pine, it will be still happy and stay compact. Notice I said pine, and not spruce or fir.
Gardening - Can you dig it?
punman

Return to Plant Talk