Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Mandevilla Vine

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Mandevilla Vine

Postby DebbieC » Jul 17, 2008 10:03 pm

I now have two mandevilla plants that are outdoors for the summer, a pink that I've had for several years and a new red one. What I need to know is, after I have stored them in the basement for the winter and then coax them back into growth again in the spring, how much do I have to cut the stems back? The reason I ask is, the plant that I have had for several years has bare bottom stems with most of the growth starting about 2/3 of the way up. It looks funny. I did cut them back somewhat, but obviously not enough! Should I cut them back close to the soil level?
DebbieC

Postby kelly_m » Jul 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Debbie...I don't know the answer to that because I have only overwintered mine as a tropical....I have more leaves at the bottom than the top...but that's okay, cause the top is filling in and I am about to have a flower!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby DebbieC » Jul 17, 2008 10:16 pm

I tried overwintering my mandevilla the first year in my living area but I found it to be an aphid magnet so that's why I now overwinter in the basement. I would love love love a sunroom to keep all those tropicals going all year. As it stands I have a lot of houseplants already, but to have a dedicated space would be great! I am happy to see this site become established because my indoor plants mean alot to me and I hope it will become a busy spot on the forum. Thanks for helping to set it up Kelly. BTW, what color is your mandevilla? I was really excited to get my new red one this year; it is a beautiful pinky red. It is growing in a hanging basket.
DebbieC

Postby kelly_m » Jul 17, 2008 10:24 pm

I did have aphips...but I seemed to get rid of them....then it had this weird webby thing going on.

I ended up sitting the entire pot in a bucket I had been cleaning...so it had antiseptic cleaner in it and boom...it started putting out new leaves, no more spidery stuff, leaves not turning brown!!!

Mine is red...I'll take a pic when it blooms...one or two days!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby bluebird » Jul 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Debbie,

I put my mandevilla in the heated greenhouse for the winter and last winter it just kept on flowering and was still blooming when I put it back out on the deck! Couldn't hardly believe it.

I've had mine now for about five years or so and what I normally do is cut back just a few of the stems to about six inches above the soil and then stagger the rest up so there is fresh growth sprouting all the way up the trellis. But last winter since it was still blooming, I couldn't bear to prune it, so I just wound the trails around and let it do its thing.

Yes, they are pest magnets once inside the dry air of our winter homes and this can be a challenge for sure. Give it a really good hosing down before bringing it in in late summer/early fall to knock off as much as you can of any "somebuggies" as Laura calls them!

Mine is the dark pink one shown here. I'd love a red one...Kelly looking forward to your pics!

Oh...and the hummers go to it!

bluebird

Postby kelly_m » Jul 20, 2008 10:41 am

The one flower hasn't bloomed yet, but it sure wants to grow up to look like yours!!LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby DebbieC » Jul 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Beautiful! Love the yellow centres on the pink flowers; most people don't like pink and yellow together but I do.
DebbieC

Postby kelly_m » Jul 29, 2008 9:32 am

Finally got around to blooming, when I got these pics....then to download to the puter.... :shock:

The colour is such a nice deeper true red...color is closer to true in the full pic, the close up it really looks pink....

Not as big as yours BB:

But pretty lone flower:

Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Return to Indoor Plants