Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

First to post a topic.....Cukes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

First to post a topic.....Cukes

Postby kelly_m » Jul 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Would it be too late to replant cukes?? I only got 2 germinate out of an entire pkg and no one has any plants available.

everything I have seen so far has 55-60 day maturity....

:(
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby OGrubber » Jul 17, 2008 6:43 pm

That gets you into the end of September before they start fruiting.

IF you can protect them from first fall frost, and you usually have a good stretch of nice weather after that before the weather goes for a carp, then I say go for it.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Jul 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Guess I yam sticking with my 2 sad little plants!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Jade » Jul 17, 2008 8:44 pm

Can you start some seed in containers? They should be big enough to have flowered and set fruit before frost comes, then you could move them inside to a sunny window or under growlights to ripen!
Jade

Re: First to post a topic.....Cukes

Postby Durgan » Jul 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Kelly wrote:Would it be too late to replant cukes?? I only got 2 germinate out of an entire pkg and no one has any plants available.

everything I have seen so far has 55-60 day maturity....

:(

It is worth a try to replant. To insure germination follow this recipe.

Take a five inch pot with normal garden soil and plant three seeds in each pot, wet well and keep in a very warm place. Don't let the pot dry out. Germination should be about 6 days, and the plants should spring up.

After the third leaf has formed, put in sun for a few hours, and increase the time until in full sun. Do this for a month and the plants should be strong and healthy.

Place the plants in the garden in full sun , and they should be off to a flying start. Don't disturb the roots when taking out of the pots. Three in a hill seems ideal for me, but sometimes I cut off one and leave two. Three pots of nine plants should give you more cukes than you can eat.

Now, I never plant cucumber seeds directly into the soil, since control of germination is lost to some degree. Cucumbers love heat and water, but not soaked feet. I water thoroughly just before they start to wilt, then soak the ground. They always revive.

Never, never wet the foiliage. It is an invitation for downy mildew. I throw a five gallon pail of water on a foot square board between the hills and let it soak in without distrubing the roots of the cucumbers.

My plants are gorgeous this year, and there are lots of fruiting bodies forming. I am waiting a few days before posting pictures. I have pickled one or two so far. Incidentially, picking the early small ones encourages mass production later on.

Now how is that for babble?

Here is the 2007 effort.

7 July 2007 Cuccumbers Producing
http://eenge.notlong.com/ 7 July 2007 Cuccumbers Producing.

http://ahvoh.notlong.com/ 9 July 2007 These few vines produce many cuccumbers, about 15 per day. There are six hills total about 15 plant in both beds. National Pickling and Country Cross are the types. They are good eating and pickling cuccumbers.

http://teeyu.notlong.com/ 11 July 2007 Prolific producers. The Country Cross is producing slightly more than the National Picking at this time.

http://engae.notlong.com/ Cucumbers are still producing.

The cuccumbers are on a trellis to contain spreading. There are two types being grown National Pickling and Cross Country. I have found National Pickling is a suitable cultivar in my Zone 5.

Last year Downy Mildew destroyed my cuccumbers just as they started to produce in quantity.

There is no sign of the mildew this year to date. I notice one more corncumber was produced. It is always an interessting conversation subject.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby kelly_m » Jul 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Thanks for the info Durgan...I have always direct sown my cukes with terrific germination...until I moved to this house. Although germination was fine last year, the cukes weren't even worth pulling off the vines. This year the 2 plants.

They were planted after the May 24 weekend...watered, warm, everything they needed for germination...I figure the moles (or voles can't remember witch) ate them :wink:

Jade...I have difficulty with the pots because, I now have a huge empty area in my veggie garden.....I'll have to come up with a quick grower to fill in!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Pepper » Jul 18, 2008 5:46 am

I'd go for it, especially because it's so hard to predict the weather these days - we could have warm weather into December!

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening