Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomatoes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Tomatoes

Postby Lindamct » Jul 18, 2008 11:41 am

I was wondering when I should pinch off the flowers. I have been faithfully removing the suckers between the branch axils. I am growing Determinate Celebrity variety tomato. This is my first try at growing tomatoes since several years ago. I have about 8 groupings of tomatoes forming on each plant, with more groupings of flowers forming rapidly. Seems to me it's around mid August. Does anyone know when to do this for sure? :)
Lindamct

Re: Tomatoes

Postby Durgan » Jul 18, 2008 1:49 pm

lindamct wrote:I was wondering when I should pinch off the flowers. I have been faithfully removing the suckers between the branch axils. I am growing Determinate Celebrity variety tomato. This is my first try at growing tomatoes since several years ago. I have about 8 groupings of tomatoes forming on each plant, with more groupings of flowers forming rapidly. Seems to me it's around mid August. Does anyone know when to do this for sure? :)

I suggest you just continue removing the suckers, and let nature take its course. Determinate will die when it is ready. Give it sufficient mositure, and you should have a nice crop. A small vine ripened tomato tastes a good as a large one.

For an experiment you could try pinching flowers on one or two plants and see if there is a difference. Then don't believe what you see completely, but repeat it next year.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby B_BQ » Jul 18, 2008 2:01 pm

I'm wondering why you would pinch off the flowers.
All of them? Isn't it flower 1st tomato 2nd?
Or do you want to keep just a few tomatoes on the plant by pinching off most of the flowers and aim for a bigger fruit?
Just wondering!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lindamct » Jul 18, 2008 2:08 pm

:) Thanks Durgan. Still learning about Determinant Tomatoes. I shall take your advice and let them be. I think I am going to have a bumper crop. I used to grow indeterminant at one time, and I remembering pinching off the growing tips a few months before frost. :D
Lindamct

Postby Durgan » Jul 18, 2008 3:18 pm

BBQ wrote:I'm wondering why you would pinch off the flowers.
All of them? Isn't it flower 1st tomato 2nd?
Or do you want to keep just a few tomatoes on the plant by pinching off most of the flowers and aim for a bigger fruit?
Just wondering!
~BBQ

The idea is to limit fruit production, primarily due to our short season. The smaller tomatoes will not ripen and the idea is that the energy will go into making the existing fruit larger, and possibly ripen before frost sets in. Whether it is valid or not, I don't know, but the theory appears sound.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby joan w » Jul 19, 2008 5:58 am

I agree that limiting the number of tomatoes will give you larger fruit, and perhaps earlier. When fall is closing in the growing tips can be pinched out so all the good goes to what is left.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Surly » Jul 21, 2008 10:25 am

this makes me wonder about my own plants. I have these HUGE cherry tomato plants which have tons of tomatoes starting on them. I guess the name "sweet million" should've been a clue...anyway...they're still growing like crazy and are getting too tall for their stakes.

Think I should cut off the top most branches? I'll never be able to eat all the tomatoes anyway.
Surly

Postby joan w » Jul 21, 2008 11:48 am

Pinching out in a judicious way should help.

As you say you won't eat all the tomatoes and start giving them away. :wink:
Image Image
joan w

Postby butterfly » Jul 21, 2008 7:00 pm

Geeess

I didnt know we were supose to pinch off the tom flowers

Isn't that where the tom come from??

I never did remove them in 25 years of growing them

I am going to post my tom pic when the battiers are charged cause I just can't figure out what is meant what branches you are supposed to break off

What is the reason to break them off?
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby joan w » Jul 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Pinching out the flowers would only apply as the season is closing BF. You want the good in the plant to go towards ripening what you have left.
Image Image
joan w

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening