Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Got some beans & cukes.....

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Got some beans & cukes.....

Postby evepet » Jul 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Just noticed that my scarlett runner bean vines have produced some beans. And I have a few little cukes too, on the containered plant.
Attachments
IMG_0389.JPG
This baby cuke is about 1.5" long.
IMG_0388.JPG
This bean one is about 2" long.
evepet

Re: Got some beans & cukes.....

Postby MareE » Jul 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Evepet, if the Scarlet twiners are interfering with the Cuke tendrils, snip them apart by scissors or sharp fingernails. The plants won't suffer any separation anxiety by the clippings of tendrils.

In my humble experience. And have I had some unplanned intertwinings. laffs

My first year of veggie gardening in a community plot was my best for production. No one on my case with the "do this do that". Basically by seat of pants style. Cherish your first year! It WILL get more complicated. Sorry but yet envious of the clean slate.

Sincerely MareE;o}

MareE

Postby evepet » Jul 19, 2008 9:30 pm

So far no problem with 'intertwining' of scarlett runner beans and cukes. But thanks.... I'll keep my eye on it. I predict a problem with intertwining at some time, and it's nice to know that they don't suffer by being 'snipped'. :lol:
evepet

Postby MareE » Jul 22, 2008 6:31 am

That didn't sound very encouraging, did it? LOL

Fleeting moments at Plotlands©bb community gardens yesterday (Monday) and there are no yellow leaves on the cukes but if there were, I'da snipped them. Signals over-watering as has been discussed.

Geez Louise, evepet, now I'm wondering if the snipping IS hurtful to the plants' tendrils. There's got to be a limit to being green. laffs

Mare;o}
MareE

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening