Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Hibiscus, hardy or not

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Hibiscus, hardy or not

Postby rosie » Jul 19, 2008 8:42 am

I have a beautiful hibiscus plant that I keep inside. How do I know if it is the type that can be planted outside? I would hate to lose it.
A house without a garden is not a home.
rosie

Postby sunkeeper » Jul 19, 2008 5:53 pm

I have a hibiscus tree that I bought last year. I brought it in for the winter and took it back outside for the summer.
I did buy a hardy hibiscus last year and planted it outside. It has come up again this year.
Most like you have a houseplant hibiscus. You can take it outside for the summer, but bring it inside in the fall.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby Venice » Jul 19, 2008 6:18 pm

There are a few ways to tell the difference.

1. Tropicals: Dark shiny leaves, smaller flowers 4", colors other then red, pink or white, double or ruffle blooms.

2. Hardy: dull leaves, large dinner plate size flowers in red, pink or white. Only flat blooms, no doubles or ruffles.

I think all of the tree's are going to be Tropicals, as the Hardy Hibiscus dies back in the fall, in the spring I cut it to the ground, and it starts up again, so this wouldn't work with the tree shape.

I think the shiny/dull leaves is the easiest way to tell.

Ven
Venice

Postby rosie » Jul 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Thank you for the pictures. I do have the tropical plant and wish it looked like yours. I had a bad case of spider mites that took all the leaves. now the plant is healthy again but is still just producing leaves. Maybe soon??
rosie

Postby sunkeeper » Jul 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Try fertilizing with a higher middle number.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby Venice » Jul 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Actually Epsom salts are good for them too, they really like them. Just sprinkle a bit on the soil, or dissolve a bit in water and water the plant.

Mine hasn't been blooming much this year either. I haven't put it on the deck because it's been so windy and stormy, so I think it might not be getting enough light hmmmm.

Ven
Venice

Postby rosie » Jul 20, 2008 8:13 am

Great ideas to try. Does it bloom all year or take the winter off?
rosie

Postby Venice » Jul 20, 2008 9:01 am

Mine seems to bloom whenever it wants. It was getting leggy last winter so hubby chopped it all back to a stubbin' hehe, it' looked pretty pathetic, it's filled in again nicely now. (that pic was from last year). So the plant is very full, but no blooms, I'll try and up it's fert and see if I can't get a few. It was a pretty prolific bloomer in the past.

Ven
Venice

Postby isabelbrinck » Jul 21, 2008 4:12 pm

You know what, that's interesting because my tropical best friend, Candy Wind Hibiscus, hasn't been blooming much this season either. She normally does all year round. Kind of odd that she wouldn't in summer, but I chalked it to my move in May.
She has also been suffering more than usual on the terrace (even falling over twice in the high winds) so I decided to bring her in for good. Don't tell her, but I think she's getting on in years and needs more pampering.
I usually dose her monthly or bi-weekly, depending on the season, with Schultz's African Violet Plant Food, have been doing so for a couple of years (8-14-9). I like the Epsom Salt idea!
Can't find any photos right now.
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby joan w » Jul 21, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks for the epsom salts tipe Ven.
Image Image
joan w

Next

Return to Indoor Plants