Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

lucky bamboo

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

lucky bamboo

Postby Olivia zone 6 » Jul 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Okay I'm sure everyone has had one of these lucky bamboo plants that are just in a vase with water, now my question is what can you do when they get sooo tall that they are tipping over all the time? I had two ofthese plants and got so sick of picking them up after having fallen over that I grabbed the two pots, broke them and then potted the darn things up in soil. Now they are still too tall and some of the leaves are yellowing. What should I do with them? (toss them out?) I couldnt bear to do that, but it seems to be the only solution! O
Olivia
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but, how to dance in the rain."
Olivia zone 6

Postby Meggylou » Jul 20, 2008 12:27 am

I just keep breaking off the stem at the bottom. They re root and grow some more. Used to keep bunches in my fish tanks, I loved it.
Meggylou

Postby evepet » Jul 20, 2008 10:43 am

I've got some in a big vase. I also just trim them off at the bottom so they're the length I prefer. The roots grow back when you put them back in water. Occasionally a leaf will yellow, and I just peel it off and throw it away. I don't know what care they'd need if planted in soil. I use a very tall vase that is quite heavy and stable at the bottom, so there's never been any problem with them tipping over. I remember the florist also suggested putting some rocks in the bottom of the vase if needed for weight. A package of $1 small river rocks (as found at Dollarama) would easily do the trick.
evepet

Return to Indoor Plants