Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Black Knot Woes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Black Knot Woes

Postby beeman » Jul 22, 2008 10:05 am

I recently lost a plum tree to black knot, removed the tree and as much of the root as possible.
Earlier this year re-planted an apple tree(Spartan) close to the site, it started to grow quite nicely.
Now I notice it has a droopy look, similar to lack of watering, but with all the rain this year that can't possibly be the problem.
Question. Is Black knot contagious through the soil from one tree to the next planting?
Regards beeman
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Re: Black Knot Woes

Postby butterfly » Jul 22, 2008 2:54 pm

beeman wrote:I recently lost a plum tree to black knot, removed the tree and as much of the root as possible.
Earlier this year re-planted an apple tree(Spartan) close to the site, it started to grow quite nicely.
Now I notice it has a droopy look, similar to lack of watering, but with all the rain this year that can't possibly be the problem.
Question. Is Black knot contagious through the soil from one tree to the next planting?
Regards beeman

I have heard that it is in the soil close to the tree also and will spread to the next one but I don't know this for 100% sure

maybe goggle
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Re: Black Knot Woes

Postby butterfly » Jul 22, 2008 4:58 pm

beeman wrote:I recently lost a plum tree to black knot, removed the tree and as much of the root as possible.
Regards beeman

I think this answers your questions. 3rd paragraph I think

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3011.html
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening