Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Mamoth Project

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby Ann » Jul 24, 2008 10:11 am

Lulu,
That's quite the road! It looks like a very inviting route down to the lake, so I'm sure people will try to use it. My guess is that after your husband sees this, he'll agree to a sign.
Ann

Postby Eeyore » Jul 24, 2008 10:18 am

For sure, you'll need the sign and probably gates.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Jul 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Perhaps if you say private road instead of private property it lends a little exclusivity???

Good luck with your battles! :wink:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby evepet » Jul 24, 2008 5:51 pm

Nice job Lulu. That's a big project done. What a shame that it's created this problem though. I can understand others thinking that it's fair game as an accessway to the lake - particularly as you say, if there are shrubs, etc, on both sides of the entrance so it's not easily identifiable as being part of your private property. I think your planters are a good idea. But IMHO you're going to need to put up your "Private Property' signs - and probably a gate. That rather obnoxious sounding young woman you described is not going to be the only one insisting that she can use it!!
evepet

Postby Eeyore » Jul 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Who can argue with men when they are being stubborn! Until it becomes a problem he won't change his mind... (been there, done that!) My guess is it will become a problem rather quickly but you could speed the process along. :wink: Do you know any people he doesn't that you could recruit to use the road to the lake repeatedly for the next few weeks? Some children to drive their bikes pell-mell down there? A friendly cop to "warn" hubby that there are legal issues at work if somebody is injured on "his" road?

Lyn - theinnocent! 8)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Jul 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Another good job Lulu.
I agree with everyone. This is such a wide road, and the lake is visible, that casual people in the area will automatically think it is a new access road put in by the local government so that people can get to the lake.
I also like the idea of some large planters. Unfortunately, even that is not going to stop some people. A barrier of some sort, with a sign on it, telling people that this is a private drive, is going to be inevitable.
What is at the end of the driveway, at the lake front? Is there anything there which your husband would not want stolen by people using the driveway?
Good luck. You do need to change your husband's mind IMHO.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Road

Postby Eeyore » Jul 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Lulu wrote:Lyn, the innocent, I somehow think we're on the same wavelength!!
:oops: :oops:

Have you seen the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? Remeber the scene where the mother tells the daughter that the man might be the head of the household but the woman is the neck?

Think if it as gentle persuasion....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas