Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Mammoth Project-Again!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Mammoth Project-Again!

Postby old_Lulu » Aug 02, 2008 6:58 am

DH brought home 80 black cedars, about 3 ft high, to plant as a hedge, between our property, and the neighbor's, along our new access road! Say's it's my late Bday prezzie!

We've discussed replacing our honeysuckle hedge with cedars, (front and opposite side), but have put it off, for five years now, because something else always jumps to the top of the priority list; this is an entirely different area and one that was not planned/discussed, prior to the trees showing up! But,,,he got a deal; they were less than half price!

I'd make life miserable for him, but, he is, at present, at a Nascar thing in Montreal; I figure he planned it this way, to give me a cooling down period! He is in no stretch of the imagination, a gardener, and hates yardwork, so, this has become MY project! Like I needed another mammoth project, three weeks from the wedding!

Prior to the road being completed, that area was an overgrown, bushy, but, rocky ravine, with little or no soil, on that side, so, any soil has to be brought in, and a kaboda will have to do some trenching.

Got all the supplies, such as soaker hoses, peat moss, moo poo, bone meal and triple mix, but, am going to try getting some compost material from our local landfill; went yesterday, but the loader was no where around, and I cannot shovel upwards into the truck! (frozen shoulder).

Oh, and BTW, I'll be the broken one at the wedding, looking haggard, and worn out, with the stubs for fingers, and no nails!

Ought to be interesting!
Attachments
MVC-885S.JPG
lulu-Zone 4bwanabe
old_Lulu

Re: Mammoth Project-Again!

Postby kelly_m » Aug 02, 2008 7:43 am

Oh My!! That's a lot of cedars...I sure hope you won't be planting them yourself!!

You could always wait till he gets back, and tell him you just had to wait to share your B-day prezzie with him..... ;)
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby evepet » Aug 02, 2008 9:52 am

My Goodness - 80 cedars to plant!! Like Kelly said, I sure hope you've got some help! It's making me tired just thinking about it.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby old_Lulu » Aug 02, 2008 10:42 am

Have to wait for DH to get back, (Sunday), to arrange for the kabota, to dig the trench, then, I am supposed to have a guy helping, but, that guy was supposed to come today, for some other HEAVY work, and has neither showed up, or called!

I was told, by the neighbours who referred him, not to pay him, until all the work was done, but, he asked for his pay, so I did pay him, yesterday, for the four hours he worked yesterday.

Got three pyramid cedars planted, behind the pergola, new rhubarb stepping stones laid (grass removed first) and lots and lots of logs and brush moved, so, he works well, when he shows up!
lulu-Zone 4bwanabe
old_Lulu

Postby Koot » Aug 03, 2008 1:17 am

Wow! and I was thinking that my little patio was a big job.
Good luck
KOOT (not the old, either) Libby zone 5
Cares melt when you kneel in your garden.
Koot

Postby verena » Aug 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi lulu

Your dear DH got punished today for what he did to you, it rained in buckets at the "Nascar" in Montreal !!!!
verena

Postby old_Lulu » Aug 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Yes it did rain,,buckets! That didn't stop him, though,,they bought overpriced rain ponchos, but then the race was stopped/cancelled.

He is out of danger now, I'm too tired to make his life miserable!
lulu-Zone 4bwanabe
old_Lulu

Postby B_BQ » Aug 03, 2008 8:27 pm

Oh Lulu! What we have to put up with from our 'better halves'.
I know exactly what you're going through, (maybe somewhat less this year), but I can't believe how much work I'm still doing, and DH 'floats' through his days. Doesn't see, doesn't contemplate, doesn't 'do'! Just waits for 'instructions'!
But, he does admire and appreciate the results!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby old_Lulu » Aug 03, 2008 10:24 pm

August is usually the month I start taking it easier, and enjoying all the fruits of my labour; not this year. The only bouquets I've brought in, are from the flowers the dogs, or I have broken, by accident! Normally, I have a fresh bouquet every few days, all summer long!

I tell my daughter that I'll most likely be the one with the unmanicured, grubby looking hands and feet, (in my beautiful gown), sleeping thru the wedding, while the bride's family will look all rested and pampered! Just kidding!

You're right about the hubbies admiring and appreciating the results, though, Brenda,,mine will be giving tours!

In my next life, I'm coming back as a husband! And not a hard working one!

Feeling sorry for myself tonite! (mostly because every muscle is screaming!)
lulu-Zone 4bwanabe
old_Lulu

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas