Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Canning Tomatoes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Canning Tomatoes

Postby JanR » Aug 01, 2008 9:51 am

You need to add Citric acid of lemon juice to ensure that the acid level is high enough. It would not be safe to can them without it unless you used a pressure canner. :) I canned a few quart a couple of years ago and I had to add lemon juice. Last year I just froze them. It is so much easier.
Jan
JanR

Postby shutterbug » Aug 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Last year I had too many tomatoes that were green when frost came. They ended up going bad when I put them in a paper bag and waited for them to ripen. Freezing sounds like a good alternative but I wonder if it makes sense to freeze the tomatoes if they are still green.
shutterbug

Postby JanR » Aug 02, 2008 10:14 am

Fried green tomatoes aren't bad, but I don't know what would happen if you froze them first. Try it and see. I had boxes and boxes of green tomatoes last year. Some ripened okay, but an awful lot went bad first. You could always make green tomato mincement. :)
Jan
JanR

Postby B_BQ » Aug 03, 2008 8:04 am

When you say 'canned' do you mean that literally? Or would that also mean putting them into a Mason jar?

I often chop up the tomatoes quite roughly, (or you could leave them whole after skinning), and stuff them into a Mason jar, I add sliced garlic and torn basil leaves, and sometimes a sprig of oregano. After stuffing the sterilized jar until its' absolutely full, and attaching the lid and screw cap, I then put the jars into a deep pot and boil them for about 20 minutes. Take them out and let cool. Tighten screw cap if necessary. I then put the jars into the back of my garage refrigerator and take out a jar whenever I want to make a sauce. It always turns out very well.

Another way, is to lightly saute a chopped onion and garlic, then add roughly chopped tomatoes, add any fresh herbs you want, a little s & p, and cook only for just a few minutes. After cooling just ladle this partly-made sauce into freezer bags, make sure the bag is sealed well, and freeze. Again, a partly made sauce which you can use whenever you want, and it will only need perking up with a few fresh herbs and a few dried hot red pepper flakes for a little zest!

I also freeze tomatoes. As Inge has mentioned, she uses the paste, or a tomato with a high flesh density, to freeze. They're not quite so watery. But, remember, this way you won't get the same sensation as eating the tomato fresh. They change texture, and to some extent taste. But they are also good, and a very easy way to store them. I just put enough in each bag to make a nice tomato sauce for 4. If you need enough tomatoes for a sauce for 6 or 8, then just use 2 bags!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby jazzyy » Aug 03, 2008 1:28 pm

BBQ after reading this thread i decided to freeze. We are really trying to eat local etc. Now we will be buying the tomatoes at the market here. So I will freeze for the winter. I will need lots of zip lock bags. Best price so far for bags is at Cosco.

Jazz
jazzyy

Postby butterfly » Aug 04, 2008 7:34 pm

I have canned tom many years ago wit my MIL before freezers c ame on the market

I never added anything but chopped ionions, salt and pepper and yes very tasty

Last year I had so many toms. I made 2 batches of salsa

2 batches of chow, gave away enough for others to make salsa and chow and eat a bunch and froze 100 tom

This year I dont have as many on my beef steaks, Normally I have so many but not this year but I did forget to fertilze even tho the plants are 7 feet tall

The toms are huge but not as many blossums this year
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening