Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Last new flowerbed this year!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Last new flowerbed this year!

Postby ColleenatStar » Aug 05, 2008 12:42 am

This being the first year we could put in flowerbeds I rushed in and put in 4 flowerbeds this spring. Told hubby I have just one more to do before my fall order comes in. He has given up arguing since I have kept up on the other 4 this summer. I am so excited to see this little bed bloom in the spring. Got a bunch of work to do before I am at planting stage. What do you think? I have peonies, irises, oriental lilies, daylilies, tulips and a couple of other types of lilies I can't remember right now. It gets full southern exposure with the fence shielding the north side of the bed. Any other ideas of plants to put in?
Attachments
newbed2.jpg
newbed.jpg
hubby helping.jpg
ColleenatStar

Re: Last new flowerbed this year!

Postby old_Lulu » Aug 05, 2008 7:05 am

I'd say you've got a ton of work ahead of you, Colleen, but sounds great!

Any pics of the four already planted?
lulu-Zone 4bwanabe
old_Lulu

Postby B_BQ » Aug 05, 2008 9:29 am

Oh my Colleen:
First of all, welcome aboard!
Lotsa work ahead for you!
That is quite the undertaking!
You must be young, strong, and have a good work ethic! lol (And a strong back!).
You're going to need lots and lots of plants. I would suggest that you plant in groups of 3, 5 or 7. This gives nice big patches of colour in such a large planting area. Some evergreens would look nice too.
I also would like to see your other four beds, and hope you keep on posting pictures of this current bed as it starts to take shape.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Aug 05, 2008 10:16 am

I'd suggest a mixed bed with some shrubs. Maybe Diablo Ninebark, some others with berries for the birds. Possibly some smaller evergreens for winter intreest.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ColleenatStar » Aug 05, 2008 11:07 am

The middle of the bed, by the fence has 7-8 chokecherry shrubs, planted them last year. To the right of them is a row of saskatoon bushes, planted last year as well and taking my life in my hands if I remove them. I do want some other plants in the bed, to the left of the chokecherries. Need to find them on sale though. Most places in town are already sold out or holding out on their gardening shrubs. One question though. The dirt is about 25% sand with the rest black earth. Would peat moss and grass clippings increase the ability to hold water? Any other suggestions for me?
ColleenatStar

Postby B_BQ » Aug 05, 2008 11:16 am

Those additions certainly wouldn't hurt. Just make sure the grass clippings don't contain any grass seeds! lol Otherwise you'll be picking grass out of your bed for ever. Also, if you can get hold of some well seasoned compost, that wouldn't hurt.
It certainly is the best plan to get your soil and bed ready before you plant. It's too darn hard to try to amend the soil once all your planting is done.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby ColleenatStar » Aug 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Well since I am somewhat on a budget, I found some willows down the road and some 5 year old pincherry trees in our birch stand. So I have put in two willows and 6 small trees beside the fence. We already have the perimeter of the property lined with evergreens, also planted last year. Started the first stage of weeding with my sifter hubby made for me. It is a 4' x 4' piece of metal grate, framed and with legs. It gets about 2 1/2 - 5 gallons of weeds per front loader full of dirt. This is a great head start for me. Picking up peat moss tonight and have to wait for a rain day to get a load of compost from the local farmer. One step at a time.
Attachments
fillerup.jpg
sifter.jpg
ColleenatStar

Postby Eeyore » Aug 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Coming along very nicely Colleen. I can't wait to see photos of it next year!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Trailblaze1 » Aug 24, 2008 7:58 am

Ambitious!...and inspiring. I hope you keep us up on its progress next year, looking forward to it.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas