Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Christmas Cactus - help please

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Christmas Cactus - help please

Postby lavender13 » Aug 09, 2008 9:44 am

Hi everyone - I posted this to Plant talk first before I realized there was an inside plant forum too.

I have 5 Christmas Cactus in 3 different colours.
I noticed that on one cactus there is a strange looking bud?
of some kind. This is not the flowering time of year where I live and so I have no idea what this is.

Hopefully I will be able to post a picture and show you what it looks like and someone will know what it is.

Thanks for you help. hugs Cathy (Lavender)
Attachments
Gardens and flowers 070.jpg
Christmas Cactus
lavender13

Re: Christmas Cactus - help please

Postby sunkeeper » Aug 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi Lavender, That is a bud! Mine bloom twice a year, around this time of year. Sunkeeper
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

to Sunkeeper re: Christmas Cactus - help please

Postby lavender13 » Aug 10, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi Sunkeeper - I thought that at first too but it
is like no bud I have ever seen on my Christmas Cactus and
I have had them for a few years. There is just the one.
I will keep an eye on it and let you know what happens.
Thanks so much for your reply.
hugs Cathy
lavender13

Postby jennifer77 » Sep 06, 2008 12:28 pm

I too have christmas cactus and would like to learn how to force them to bloom. Any one with any ideas?
jennifer77

Postby DebbieC » Sep 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Christmas cactus bloom in response to shorter days and cooler temps. They also respond to lack of care and pampering! I have found that they like to spend the summer outdoors and then be brought in just prior to frost. If you are in a zone with a longer fall all the better. If you do not wish to keep outside, in the fall put them in a room that does not get a lot of light after the dinner hour and preferably in a cooler room. Don't give them too much in the way of water until they begin to bud. Then you can bring them into your main living space, increase watering and feed every two weeks. My cactus has bloomed up to four times in one year, especially after leaving outside for the summer. Good luck.
DebbieC

Postby jennifer77 » Sep 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info. They have been out all summer and are ready to come in. Just a few more questions. Do they need some light durring the day ? And how long do I leave them there before i bring them back into the light?
jennifer77

Postby DebbieC » Sep 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Yes they definately need some light during the day, bright light but not direct sunshine. The key is the decrease in light later in the day. I would leave them in this position for at least a month then bring them back into your main living area. Also, once they are fully budded you should not turn them in relation to the light or they can abort their buds.
DebbieC

Re: Christmas Cactus - growths are seed pods

Postby lavender13 » Sep 08, 2008 9:07 am

Hi - I finally discovered what growth is on my Christmas Cactus. It is a seed pod. I have seen pictures online of identical seed pods. Who knows, in the future maybe I will start up a nursery of baby Christmas Cactus lol.. hugs Cathy :lol:
lavender13

Postby rosie » Sep 08, 2008 1:44 pm

I have seen those seed pods on a Christmas cactus before. A friend of mine said she cross pollinated a couple of different cacti and that is what she got. I thought it was from the cross pollinating but maybe not.
What are you going to call your new nursery? :lol:
A house without a garden is not a home.
rosie

Return to Indoor Plants