Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Vegetable Garden Weeds

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Vegetable Garden Weeds

Postby LynnS » Aug 10, 2008 11:45 pm

I inherited my Dad's vegetable garden which he lovingly cared tended for many years. Dad believed in gardening the natural way and always used manure for fertilizer. Unfortunately, the last batch was fresh from the farm and full of weeds. Any ideas on how to control this mess? I could be pulling weeds and tilling 7 days a week and still not get it under control.

LynnS
LynnS

Re: Vegetable Garden Weeds

Postby Pepper » Aug 11, 2008 5:54 am

Hi Lynn - I use the horse manure from our farm and it's also full of weed seeds too, but I've started using lots of mulch and this year the weed situation was much better. Do you use mulch?

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby LynnS » Aug 11, 2008 8:08 am

Hi Pepper,
Thanks for your reply. The garden is quite large and it would take a lot of mulch! I do have some black rubber strips that help in a couple of rows, but the thatchy grass and other weeds come up the sides. Plus we till a lot as some plants mature and get picked and then we plant again (usually lettuce).

I was considering not planting for one year and covering it with garden fabric. Would that work? I hate using pesticides.

LynnS
LynnS

Postby butterfly » Aug 11, 2008 9:57 am

LYNN

I use straw in between the rows and around veggie plants

it hold water in and dodn't need to weed a lot. it keeps the weeds down

I weeded 3 times this summer so far

Sat was the 3rd and it breaks down nicely making your soil nice and loose

Use straw not hay. Straw doesn't have seeds. Hay does
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby LynnS » Aug 11, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks! Great idea.
LynnS

Postby benjimum » Aug 11, 2008 10:53 am

I have this issue also in a large field garden. I have tried a few things. One is to plant in rows far apart enough that you can til between the rows. We have a hand held tiller that i til with between the rows often. then you are only fighting the weeds in the rows, and that is more doable. I have also tried spreading hay on the paths between the rows, and newspapers also. Newpapers work quite well nd hay helps lots too.
My grandma has a huge garden space and now only plants a tiny bit of it, but she always has a garden withvery little weeds. Her secret, find a way to keep it "Black" for one seasonand it will be a good garden. Next yr will be away for part of the summer and I'm going to give my garden a rest, and try to keep it black til i leave...then get my son to til it while i am gone. hoping that helps
benjimum

Postby beeman » Aug 11, 2008 9:26 pm

I have one suggestion. Black Plastic. I was sceptical at first, but now I think it's just glorious.
First till the area and make sure it's nice and wet, cover with black plastic and weight down the edges then wait till next year, I leave it on all winter.The late summer sun really heats up the ground and kills off the nasties. There is no compaction, when you lift off the plastic in the spring you can plant straight into it. The soil is nice and warm, seeds start very quickly and no weeds.
There is another benefit. Since 'doing' the black, no more potato bugs. We were plagued with them for years, we didn't see one this year!
Give it a try, you won't regret it.
Regards beeman
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby LynnS » Aug 15, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks so much for the great ideas! Newspaper and straw are very easy to do and I will try the landscape fabric or black plastic as well.
LynnS

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening