Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

plant suggestions

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

plant suggestions

Postby Jade » Aug 25, 2008 11:28 am

I tried posting this question on day 1 of this forum, but got no replies. Probably too early in the "loop"!
I have a four season sunroom and would like some suggestions on plants that will do well in it. Gets lots of sun, floor is heated tile, so truly is a 4 season room. We live in Calgary so the winter is +++ dry. I can't raise the humidity in the sunroom too much or I get consensation on the inside of the windows. Thanks for any suggestions.
Jade

Re: plant suggestions

Postby sunkeeper » Aug 25, 2008 11:13 pm

You can always mist your indoor plants. Or place them on pebble filled dishes for humidity.
Potted Plant tips
http://www.ext.vt.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Docs.woa/wa/getcat?cat=ir-ln-ig-pp
Indoor Gardening Monthly Tips
http://www.ext.vt.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Docs.woa/wa/getcat?cat=ir-ln-ig-gt
Houseplants List of Species
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/webdoc1374?opendocument
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby MrsJP » Aug 27, 2008 1:46 am

Hay I just had a couple of thoughts, if you are trying to cut down on the humidity why not try lots of wicker baskets to put your plant pots in. They should absorb some of the moister. Maybe some pieces of driftwood scattered around, it can be for decoration and a purpose. Circulating fans will help,even a table top fan facing a corner will help circulate the air. For plants what about Cactus and succulents. Love to see pictures of what you do with your space.
Jackie
MrsJP

Postby Jade » Aug 27, 2008 8:23 pm

Good suggestions everybody! I have always been told NOT to mist plants here because the extra dry winter air makes it of no use. I have tried pebble trays in the past with limited success. The room is windows on 2 1/2 sides plus the roof. There is a ceiling fan that we usually have on. The dimension is about 10' x 14'. I like all kinds of plants so would like both flowering and foliage types, as long as the foliage is interesting and has lots of varieties. Possible frost warning for tonight, so my thoughts are definitely turning towards the indoor season.
Jade

Return to Indoor Plants