Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

scale on orchids

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

scale on orchids

Postby evan » Sep 09, 2008 3:50 pm

How does one get rid of scale on orchids? Can this spread to my other houseplants?
evan

Re: scale on orchids

Postby orchidguy » Sep 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Because of their hard, waxy coating they excrete, scale (and there are many different kinds) can sometimes be hard to eradicate. First, get it away from other plants for they can spread quickly. Take your orchid to the sink and spray with an infusion of cayenne pepper and dry mustard mixed with hot water and allowed to cool. Once sprayed. take a garbage bag and put your plant in with a no-pest strip. Leave for 24-36 hours in tied up bag, and then rinse off plant. Never place a newly aquired plant with existing plants. The easiest method of controlling any pest is prevention. I learned this the hard way. A well meaning friend surprised me with a Stephanotis plant once that was placed in my greenhouse. Needless to say, an infestation of mealybug was everywhere and I dont use chemicals on anything. After months of scrubbing and holistic concoctions I was fiinally rid of them once and for all. I now lock the greenhouses. Hope this works for you
orchidguy

Re: scale on orchids

Postby evan » Oct 05, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks! I have 17 orchids: the first free weekend, I will do all 17 at once and hope that it works. I am currently using alcohol and wiping them off individually, but obviously this will never end. EN
evan

Return to Indoor Plants