Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Clivia(Kaffiir Lily)

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Re: Clivia(Kaffiir Lily)

Postby Lindamct » Aug 22, 2008 11:56 am

Lorraine, I would have a tendency to leave it in the pot it's in now! It blooms twice a year for you. That's amazing! Do you feed it anything at all? Mine are in a Southwest window, where I keep the blind filtering direct sun. I hope that's ok.
Lindamct

Postby sunkeeper » Aug 22, 2008 8:50 pm

:P Hi Linda, I don't fertilize. I really need to repot up one size as it is getting top heavy.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby DebbieC » Sep 05, 2008 7:51 pm

Clivia is a plant that does not like to be coddled too much I think! I'd like to share a story about my plant. On one of the coldest days last winter (-40) my husband opened the patio door to let out some smoke from my daughters burned cooking attempts. When I came home from work that evening I found many of my plants including the clivia that were positioned in front of the window black and collapsed from the cold.(needless to say i could have killed my husband!) The clivia had a few central leaves still intact so I hoped it might survive. Well, I had to cut off all the mushy outer leaves, but the remainder of the plant began to regrow and I had 2 beautiful stalks of flowers this summer. I was very impressed to say the least! Debbie.
DebbieC

Postby peter2008 » Oct 17, 2008 1:36 am

Clivia is a genus of monocot flowering plants native to southern Africa. They are from the family Amaryllidaceae. Common name is Bush lily.
They are non-woody evergreen plant, with dark green, strap-like leaves. These leaves produce clusters bell-shaped flowers on a stalk above the foliage. The flowers somewhat resemble those of certain varieties of Lilium or Amaryllis. Orange is the most common colour but there are also Peach, Near White, Apricot, Red and Yellow varieties.
====================================
Peter
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com
peter2008

Postby Lindamct » Oct 17, 2008 3:47 pm

Peter thank you for your description, of which I am quite aware of, since my Mother Plant is 22 years old. I own several of the Peach shade :) However my main point on the Clivia topic, was my concern about it not flowering for a few years. I was looking for some advice regarding this. Several answers have been helpful in this thread. Thanks once again Lorraine, Millo and Debbie. :D
Lindamct

Previous

Return to Indoor Plants