Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Epsom Salts for Houseplants

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Epsom Salts for Houseplants

Postby sunkeeper » Jul 21, 2008 10:21 pm

Houseplants: Use two tablespoons per gallon of water; feed plants monthly.

Flowering plants: Put one tablespoon of Epsom Salt into one gallon of water. This mixture helps to force blooms.

Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby rosie » Jul 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Just came back from the local bulk food store where I purchased some epsom salts. Look out plants here I come.
A house without a garden is not a home.
rosie

Postby TrailBlaze » Jul 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Tell us if you notice a difference?

I think I may try this myself, and purchase two identical houseplants, feed one with epsom salts, leave the other, just water both the same. Should be interesting to note the differences.
Diane zone 5a
TrailBlaze

Postby rosie » Jul 27, 2008 3:33 pm

Yes, I did wonder half way through watering my 70 plus houseplants, what if this is a mistake and I am going to kill most of them. It has been 4 days since I did it and so far no bad side effects.
rosie

Re: Epsom Salts for Houseplants

Postby rosie » Oct 19, 2008 1:06 pm

It has been 3 months now of using epsom salts and I would have to say that I notice no difference. My plants are as they would be if I had not used them. Did no harm though.
rosie

Postby orchidguy » Oct 30, 2008 5:06 pm

Epsom salts in itself is not a balanced fertilizer. Its mineral analysis is about 10% magnesium and 13% sulphur. It is more of a balancer for other means of fertilization. I add epsom salts to fish meal, guano and other low impact fertilizers to quicken the absorbtion of nutrients. Magnesium can be seen as an overall tonic for most plants, but not as a staple food for the growth of any new vegetation.
orchidguy

Postby sunkeeper » Nov 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Are the leaves on your tomato or pepper plants turning yellow? Want more blooms on your rose bushes? Wondering why your lawn is looking brown? These problems may be the result of a lack of magnesium in soil, prohibiting roots from absorbing much needed nutrients. Give your foliage and flowers a boost by using Epsom Salt.

Magnesium and sulfur, the main components of Epsom Salt, can help to restore essential nutrients to soil. Although magnesium and sulfur occur naturally in soil, they can be depleted over time. Epsom Salt can also help with seed germination and the production of chlorophyll, which plants use to transform sunlight into food. In addition, Epsom Salt can aid in the absorption of phosphorus and nitrogen, two of the most important fertilizer components.

Epsom Salt's advantage over other soil additives is its high solubility. When distilled, and especially when applied as a spray, Epsom Salt can be quickly absorbed by the roots. But unlike most commercial fertilizers, which build up in the soil over time, Epsom Salt is not persistent so it can't be overused.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby isabelbrinck » Feb 09, 2009 10:38 pm

I added Epsom salt solution to my Hibiscus some time ago. I got more blooms than ever (small ones) but I haven't had another bloom since! I used ES again but no results.
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby butterfly » Jun 30, 2009 7:17 pm

I use it forr most things but I did give my snake plants a drink with one time and the tips turned grey and in a couple of weeks the tips fell off. They looked just like wood ashes

Maybe I gave them too much I don't know but never gave it to snake plant again

The tips did grow back nice and healthy in due time
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby elizabeth24 » Aug 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I have heard of using Epsom Salts on plants, but have never tried it, but I don't think any harm would come from it.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Next

Return to Indoor Plants